E8400 now or wait for Phenom X2?

worshipme

Golden Master
I'm facing a bit of a dilemma, I want the higher clock speeds of a dual, and the E8400 fits the bill perfectly. Yet I have been seeing people clocking their Phenom 9850s to 3.4GHz and even above which makes me think the X2s and especially the Black Editions will OC even better, the only minus being that I'd need a new board. And we still don't have any dates for the X2s, I found this at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103256&Tpk=4450e but is it K8 or K10? I The logo would suggest K10 or is this just an updated 2xxxe? I found an E8400 for a good price but the X2s are likely to be priced very competetively, and a Black Edition is tempting.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

At 4GHz it will be. Almost all apps I'm running aren't multi-threaded, so a higher clocked CPU would increase performance. Plus, my Q6600 is a power hungry hot little chip and a dual core wouldn't have any of those disadvantages, especially at 45nm.

Oh, that's true, 4ghz would be pretty fast, lol. I dont know much about the phenoms though. I would go for the E8400 then, since you already have a board that is compatible with it.

Well personally i'd wait for the Phenom X2. I think it's going to surprise a few people.

The chip in the link? Isn't it a kind of pre Phenom X2?

It's one of the energy efficient dual cores 45W TDP. I don't know whether it's K10 or K8 though. How high the X2s can clock will determine how successful they are.

I just ordered an E8400 and an E3110. I'll compare them and then keep the one that gives the best results. I didn't really want to wait for Phenom X2 even though I'd have liked one, and it would mean I'd need a new mobo too.

Anyway, my lapped Q6600 is up for sale on Ebay.fr if anyone's interested...

EDIT: Make that two E8400s. The E3110 just went out of stock and the price was quite high too.

But when I get my two retail E8400s, is there any way of knowing the VID before opening the box? as I want to keep one sealed. Will the sticker on the side tell me anything?
Anyone with a retail E8400, could you please help me with this?

Thanks.

And I know that a lower VID doesn't neccessarily mean that it'll clock better but it's just reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom