Motherboard Over Max Supported RAM

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok gusy basicly i have a fairly old ish motherboard in fact im ashamed to say its ECS its an unknown make but i picked it up with an E2160 for next to nothing and i mean next to nothing :) we wont go into how i got it

here is the board.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...-1&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=0

basicly it didnt come with any RAM but i do happen to have a stick acquired from a fried of 2Gb 667Mhz RAM it is just 1 stick.

the motherboard says it takes maximum of 2Gb does that mean 1Gb in each slot or can it take a 2Gb in one slot, and if by chance i wanted to (dont shout overkill) put another stick of 1Gb 667Mhz RAM in it what is the worse that can happen.

in short. what happens if a motherboard says it supports 2Gb and you put 3Gb in ?

1 of 2 things is likely to happen, either it's gonna beep like crazy at you with a memory error or it will boot fine and only register 1 of the 2 gigs of ram in that slot. The 2 gig max is for both slots, which means you have a max of 1gb per slot if it has 2 slots.

gurss theres only 1 way to find out really lol ill post back later or tomoz

The maximum supported amount is the total amount over all the available slots, in this case 2. so thats 1GB in each slot to provide 2 in total

Back
Top Bottom