Question about new computer/no internet

mmb42

Baseband Member
Hello to everyone.

I know nothing about the workings of computers. Let me get that right out. I suck, I know. I know how to use the internet extensively, photoshop, and all those silly things but I know nothing about anything of value when it comes to making computer work. But I am learning.

I bought a new computer the other night. It did not come with any operating system but I installed windows XP on it. This is what is in the computer:

AMD Phenom QuadCore 9500 AM2+ 2.2ghz 4mb cache
AMD Phenom Original stock fan and heatsink
Kingbox DDR2 PC2-6400 2GB1/800MHZ (Micron D9)
ECS Black Series A780GM-A (780G AM2+ 4DDR-1066 PCI-E 2.0)
Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm 8mb sata II
ATI Radeon HD 3450 512MB DVI VGA TV-OUT
ATI Raedon HD 3200 Graphics (Blue ray/HD DVD/FUll HD)
Onboard network card
Raidmax ATX 450W Dual Fan Power Supply

It also came with a disk with some drivers on it which was installed after windows....I then plugged in my blue line which runs to my roommates router (which is in working order as is the internet to the other computers on it) and nothing. Nothing at all. Not even a little icon or anything.

What do I do to fix this? Thanks in advance for your time. I can provide other details as best I can if needed.

unlikely but worth a go is: go to control panel, then network connections, then enable the network card. failing that then it sounds like you need to install the drivers for your network card. go into device manager (right click my computer>go to hardware>then click device manager).
then go to "other devices" or possibly "network adapters", or look for any piece of hardware with a yellow ? next to it. when you find the network card. double click it. then update the driver (you may need to download it from the net)

Yes o.k. it does have the yellow ? next to "ethernet controller"

I try to update the drivers but it cannot find them. I tried doing it with the windows disk in, as well as the driver disk that came with the computer but it could not find them.

I have working internet on the laptop I am using now but I have no idea what driver I need nor do I know how to find it?

Also when I do go to control panel, then network connections I see nothing. There is nothing to press "update network card"

on the box/in the manual it should tell you what network card it is.
failing that just unscrew the sides and physically look at what the model is

I can't seem to find anything on the box, and I have manuals but for each individual part. Not one manual. I am so lost.

ok best be would be get the laptop with working internet download pc wizard 2008 found here.
http://pc-wizard-2008.en.softonic.com/

once thats done burn it to c.d or transfer it through a usb stick install it on the computer and look under network adapters or ethernet controllers or netowkring something like that, and tell us what model it is.

Once you locate and install the drivers for you ethernet you should go to "Network Connections" in control panel and use the internet connection wizard.

Once that is done, go to windows update and have everything updated to current 'SP3".

Once you locate and install the drivers for you ethernet you should go to "Network Connections" in control panel and use the internet connection wizard.

Once that is done, go to windows update and have everything updated to current 'SP3".

not really if his mate has already setup the router jus plug the cable in and go

I downloaded the program suggestion, pc wizard, in hopes to find out the mak of my "ethernet controller"

I placed it on a USB and plugged that into the new computer. Won't show up. It's like it doesn't exsist on the USB.

So I placed the file on my digital camera and used the USB and plugged that into the new computer. Again, like it didnt exsist, file just wasn't there.

*sigh* I am so stressed about this. I am hoping to get in touch with someone who can be here and help me. But no luck yet.

I downloaded the program suggestion, pc wizard, in hopes to find out the mak of my "ethernet controller"

I placed it on a USB and plugged that into the new computer. Won't show up. It's like it doesn't exsist on the USB.

So I placed the file on my digital camera and used the USB and plugged that into the new computer. Again, like it didnt exsist, file just wasn't there.

*sigh* I am so stressed about this. I am hoping to get in touch with someone who can be here and help me. But no luck yet.

Like someone already suggested, take your case side panel off and see if you can locate the ethernet card. Then go ahead and try to read off its brand.

Er.. wait a minute, won't your ethernet port be integrated into your motherboard? If so, find your motherboard's website and reinstall drivers.

Back
Top Bottom