Are-My-CPU-Temperatures-High???

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

The other day I figured out how to properly use Prime95 to stress all 4 cores, (My original thread had false temps) here are my results using torture test on all 4 cores using small fft's for 10min on my Q9450 (stock speed 333 x 8 = 2.6Ghz) all my specs are in my sig.

Ambient = 22c

SpeedFan v4.34

Idle
CPU = 18c
Core 0 = 32c
Core 1 = 31c
Core 2 = 44c
Core 3 = 43c
CPU-Z = 1.232V
CPU-Z Vcore (Idle) = 1.232V

Load
CPU = 33
Core 0 = 47c
Core 1 = 46c
Core 2 = 57c
Core 3 = 55c
CPU-Z Vcore (Load) = 1.200V

I have an “Ultima 90” as my heatsink with 92mm Noctua fan inside a Cosmos S case with 6 120mm fans. Heatsink is lapped as well as IHS of Q9450. Looking at the temps you can see that there is about 12c difference between cores 0,1 & 2,3. I tried reseating the heatsink & I tried using stock Intel cooler, but the difference in temps stayed the same. (RealTemp gives the same 12c difference)

What cores do u think are giving proper temperature? Let's assume its cores 0,1 is 47c on full load at stock is high? How far do u think I will be able to OC this processor? I am very upset about all this, obviously I can't return the CPU now that I lapped it, and spending $360 on a new one doesn't sound 2 appealing. What are your general thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks.

core 2 and 3 seem a little high but if it gets to 60 start to worry really bad, have you tried reappling your thermal paste? and i wouldn't oc at these temps man.

To add to worshipme's post, run the sensor test in Real Temp and see what movement you get, I have a feeling your cores 2&3 sensors may be faulty/stuck

core 2 and 3 seem a little high but if it gets to 60 start to worry really bad, have you tried reappling your thermal paste? and i wouldn't oc at these temps man.

Yes I tryed reappling thermal paste. I will do it again tonigh twhen I get home. I will try to remount the HS sideways.

I'm not sure what TjMax Speedfan uses. But Realtemp will give you the correct temps as it will use a 95c TjMax: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/Real_Temp/
Report back with the temps Realtemp gives.

I will do so when I get home in few hours. What would be a good temp under load for my CPU?

To add to worshipme's post, run the sensor test in Real Temp and see what movement you get, I have a feeling your cores 2&3 sensors may be faulty/stuck

If I recall correctly, the sensor test was 7 Tops for all cores from 3-7. I will get the realtemp results and report back, but I know I tried it b4, and the difference was still 12c between cores. I think it will give me a bit lower temps but the difference will still be the same. So u think its cores 2,3 that are faulty? I just hope it's not the other way around. I will report back with results.

I will do so when I get home in few hours. What would be a good temp under load for my CPU?
The thermal specification according to Intel is 71c, so anything under and you are safe.

So u think its cores 2,3 that are faulty? I just hope it's not the other way around. I will report back with results.
I would say that a 45nm cpu wouldn't idle anywhere near 43-44°C.

Hell, even my 65nm Q6600 at 3.2GHz doesn't idle that high so imo I would say yes, I believe that the sensors (not cores) for 2&3 are not reading correctly. The other thing to try is down clocking (try 266*6, do you have 6x multi???) at the lowest voltage you can get it to boot at, that should have the cpu temp (theoretically) at idle at ~5°C above your ambient room temperature.

I would say that a 45nm cpu wouldn't idle anywhere near 43-44°C.

Hell, even my 65nm Q6600 at 3.2GHz doesn't idle that high so imo I would say yes, I believe that the sensors (not cores) for 2&3 are not reading correctly. The other thing to try is down clocking (try 266*6, do you have 6x multi???) at the lowest voltage you can get it to boot at, that should have the cpu temp (theoretically) at idle at ~5°C above your ambient room temperature.

43 at Idle seems a bit hot? If my cores 1,2 are correct then I'm ideling at 30c. RealTemp is giving me;

Idle
Core 0 = 25
Core 1 = 25
Core 2 = 39
Core 3 = 37

Load
Core 0 = 40
Core 1 = 40
Core 2 = 51
Core 3 = 50

Any reason why u want me to do "266*6," ? is it just check the sensors? I was hoping to get this sensors calibrated and the OC the sucker.

To calibrate Real Temp idle you would do the 266*6 (see unclewebbs thread at XS forums)

It's not necessary to do 266*6 if you don't want to it was just a suggestion to try and identify which sensors were reading closer to true, if 0&1 read below ambient room temp (which we all know is impossible with air cooling) then they would be the faulty ones.

Is Real Temp using TjMax of 95°C for your cpu??

To calibrate Real Temp idle you would do the 266*6 (see unclewebbs thread at XS forums)

It's not necessary to do 266*6 if you don't want to it was just a suggestion to try and identify which sensors were reading closer to true, if 0&1 read below ambient room temp (which we all know is impossible with air cooling) then they would be the faulty ones.

Is Real Temp using TjMax of 95°C for your cpu??

Yes 95 TjMax for RealTemp

I dont know should I bother with reseating the HS? Like I sad b4 I tryed doing it b4, didnt work. I also tryed the Intel HS, the difference was the same, so its not the HS. If like u guys say the RealTemp is giving correct info and Cores 3,4 are stock so that would mean I have 40 under load, which is good right? What u think?

I will try the 266*6

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom