dual boot question

decision fish

Baseband Member
hello guys,
(sorry mods i hope this is ok), i made this thread in the operating systems sub-forum earlier today but got no replies so i figured all the knowledge was in here. so if anyone can advise that would be great.
my original post was:

i am reinstalling today to make a dual boot of windows 2000 and xp (i found out the hard way that it is better to put 2000 on first)

my question is: is there any way to install 2000 on first but change the drive letter so i can have C as the drive letter for the xp installation?

many thanks

Not sure if this is what your talking about, but: Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management

At the top right, right click the drive and choose 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'.

I'm assuming you would first change 2000 to, say E then XP to C then 2000 back to, say D.

Again, I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

thanks for replying

i have tried that in the past and when you try to change the 2000 partition it says "windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot"

i came across this before when i reinstalled a friends computer and one of the drives in his card reader was allocated C and i had to reinstall again with the card reader disconnected from the mobo to enable the hdd to be C.

what i would like to know is if there is a way to assign a different letter to the drive during installation.

cheers

what you said was exactly the same as what i thought when i had to deal with changing the hdd drive letter before, shame it doesn't let you change it there:)

put each operating system on a different hard drive and whichever one you boot up with will be the C: drive, IIRC...

Back
Top Bottom