bluetooth will save your life one day

esa193

Fully Optimized
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3883082.ece

New wi-fi devices warn doctors of heart attacks
Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent
The Bluetooth wireless technology that allows people to use a hands-free earpiece while making a mobile telephone call could soon alert the emergency services when someone has a heart attack, Ofcom predicts.
The communications regulator said that sensors could be implanted into people at risk of heart attack or diabetic collapse that would allow doctors to monitor them remotely.
If the “in-body network” recorded that the person had suddenly collapsed, it would send an alert, via a nearby base station at their home, to a surgery or hospital.
However, Ofcom also gave warning in its report, Tomorrow's Wireless World, that the impact of such technology on personal privacy would require more debate.
The technology, which is being tested now in Portsmouth, could also be used if a patient failed to take his or her medicines. A pill dispenser would send an automatic reminder and, if the pills were not taken within a certain time, an alarm would sound and a message would be sent to the patient's family or carers.
However, health experts say that they are sceptical about the level of take-up of “in-body” sensors while research into the possible radiation impact of wi-fi networks is going on.
The Ofcom report also said that advances in GPS positioning and short-range wireless technologies could “revolutionise the way we conduct our journeys and safety levels on the roads”. Intelligent transport systems being developed by car manufacturers allowed cars to communicate with each other and send alerts about sudden braking. If a collision happened the car's system could automatically call the emergency services. The technology could also apply the brakes automatically if it was determined that two cars were getting too close to each other.
Paramedics attending the scene of an accident would carry a small computer that would pick up wireless messages from a bracelet incorporated in the driver's watch. These would enable them to gain access to information about his or her medical history.
The European Commission is discussing whether to allow the “e-Call” automatic emergency call-out, which could be on the market by 2011. A recent trial suggested that the technology could cut ten minutes off the time for the emergency services to reach the scene of an accident and a 15 per cent reduction in fatalities.
Ofcom said that drivers could be helped by further advances in sat-nav technology. Signals would alert drivers to congestion ahead and then calculate whether their proposed journey would be quicker by train.
Wireless communication technology could also enable food items to carry microchips containing information on their contents. This would allow, for example, nut allergy sufferers to be alerted if they inadvertently picked up an item containing nuts.
Ofcom concluded that wireless communication was now “integral to our lives”. It said that the Government must decide how to prepare for future demands on the radio frequencies, or spectrums, that wireless services use. Wireless congestion, with wi-fi users “piggybacking” on other people's connections, must not result in interference in potentially life-saving communications, it added.
Peter Ingram, Ofcom's chief technology officer, said: “This report demonstrates the many creative ways that the radio spectrum can be used for the benefit of citizens. But other bodies will have to decide whether the transfer of personal data, which these advances involve in the medical sphere, is appropriate for the benefits.”

looks good to me if it can save my life

RFID technology is nothing new... the army 1st used this tech. to keep track of supplies. as more and more stores use it, it starts to look attractive, keeping track of inventory.

i hear they want to use this to keep track of kids too, but you know this tech. will be used the wrong way by someone.

Thats pretty cool! But I do agree with Mr Mixx, it can be abused too easily. Just let a sex offender get ahold of the list of names and passcodes.

BTW, Esa, what is up with all these technology news articles lately? I have to admit, it is nice to see someone posting these up. Maybe we should give a news sub-forum a trial run, because we have members like Esa here.

thank you flightsimboy
i like posting articles i find that are cool
wish people would talk about them a little more
but i do my best =P

actuly if have an idea
if the news thingy doesnt go well
how about i make a sticky
"ESA193 News Center"
i could post a bunch of awesome articles i find
we could all talk about it
i think its a good idea

as i have said before i do think the news article thingy should have a test run on here, i gave it a thumbs up awhile back in another thread....

and i no dought in my mind we would have a shortage of news to read.. :p

mr mixx let me try it out will u? i have like 6 more articles to post atm and i read between 2-4 every day
give me the go ahead i make a nice little thread that all update a lot
and if people like it sticky it

how about a vote : should we 1st make a thread about it and let the members put it to the vote ?? anyway you look at it.... i will bring up the idea in the staff lounge and see what the rest of the mods think... :p

i think its cool tho =P
in a bit ill make the thread it people support it just sticky it if not ill just update it a lot

Back
Top Bottom