I Need Vista Tips :)

Great thank you all guys!

if any of u read my other thread, I have problmes with temps on my cpu now, I will go ahed and try to use the stock heatsink to see if its the heatsink or uneven surface of the IHS, bb in 2 h

2months on laptop with vista: SHIT LOADS OF PROBLEMS

Frien d on vista: over a year: LOTS OF PROBLEMS

Boss with vista: No problems

But its got nothing to do with my sites its what I download and the programs I use but UAC, if its off you still get bugs in, ghost even tho you have not noticed your vista has a few bugs I bet. even if you scan and defrag

Ant, with all due respect you just love to assume things you *hear* from others.

I download dozens of files every single day on this computer. I visit countless websites, deal with many programs at the same time, and sometimes they are from untrusted sources/etc. I exercise caution when surfing the web, and if I absolutely HAVE to visit a website or download files that might be dangerous, I take major precautions to prevent anything.

To this day, Spybot, Avast!, AVG, Norton, McAfee, Adaware, and Kaspersky have not found ONE problem on my computer. Not ONE. Just because your computer (or your friend's) has had problems without UAC doesn't mean others will definitely have them, too.

Great thank you all guys!

if any of u read my other thread, I have problmes with temps on my cpu now, I will go ahed and try to use the stock heatsink to see if its the heatsink or uneven surface of the IHS, bb in 2 h

Any updates?

Some :)

I spend 4h yesterday with this guys helping me to calibrate my sensors. There were some impovements but the difference is still kind of big... This guys has a GREAT guide on how to calibare ur sensors using "SpeedFan" (see 4th post in the thread link) here is a thread of my progress.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250097-28-q9450-high-temps

Ambient Temp = 21c

Idle:

CPU = 23-24c = (24c)
Core 0 = 24-25c = (25c)
Core 1 = 25-26c = (26c)
Core 2 = 32-33c = (33c)
Core 3 = 30-31c = (31c)

Load:

CPU = 28-31
Core 0 = 29-35c = (32c)
Core 1 = 30-35c = (33c)
Core 2 = 34-39c = (37c)
Core 3 = 34-38c = (36c)

I think its a big progress considering the difference in temps b4 was about 13c! My PC been only "Alive" for 2 days (not used much coz of work) so the temps will still change a bit, ac5 needs time to sink in.

Some :)

I spend 4h yesterday with this guys helping me to calibrate my sensors. There were some impovements but the difference is still kind of big... This guys has a GREAT guide on how to calibare ur sensors using "SpeedFan" (see 4th post in the thread link) here is a thread of my progress.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250097-28-q9450-high-temps

Ambient Temp = 21c

Idle:

CPU = 23-24c = (24c)
Core 0 = 24-25c = (25c)
Core 1 = 25-26c = (26c)
Core 2 = 32-33c = (33c)
Core 3 = 30-31c = (31c)

Load:

CPU = 28-31
Core 0 = 29-35c = (32c)
Core 1 = 30-35c = (33c)
Core 2 = 34-39c = (37c)
Core 3 = 34-38c = (36c)

I think its a big progress considering the difference in temps b4 was about 13c! My PC been only "Alive" for 2 days (not used much coz of work) so the temps will still change a bit, ac5 needs time to sink in.

Those are some amazing temperatures. Is that with 100% load? ANd what program are you using to test?

These new chips look pretty promising as far as overclocking might go. Oh, and your temperature range between cores is quite normal now. I wouldn't worry about it any further at all.

Chris

Those are some amazing temperatures. Is that with 100% load? ANd what program are you using to test?

These new chips look pretty promising as far as overclocking might go. Oh, and your temperature range between cores is quite normal now. I wouldn't worry about it any further at all.

Chris

Thank you for encouraging words :) I'm still very new when it comes to stress testing and OC, I'm reading OC guide at work right now ( only if they new :) ) The program was Prime 95 small FFT's (I don't think it was 100% load)

Thank you for encouraging words :) I'm still very new when it comes to stress testing and OC, I'm reading OC guide at work right now ( only if they new :) ) The program was Prime 95 small FFT's (I don't think it was 100% load)

Hm, well Prime 95 is a great program to use; I use it for my overclocking tests, too. However, you're running a quad-core (right?) and I believe there is a way to have the program run FOUR worker threads in order to max out the CPU. When you open up the Torure Test menu, you set the threads to 4 instead of 1.

Hm, well Prime 95 is a great program to use; I use it for my overclocking tests, too. However, you're running a quad-core (right?) and I believe there is a way to have the program run FOUR worker threads in order to max out the CPU. When you open up the Torure Test menu, you set the threads to 4 instead of 1.

O geez u right! That's my noobist knowledge for u there. Now I will need to bother that guy again to help me calibrate the thing once more! I literally spend 4h last night doing that lol, well now that I know what to expect I hope the process will go quicker. I just hope he will decide to help me do this again lol.

Also there is an option in the P95 for available memory to use. It refers to the RAM memory right? I have 4g what should I set it to, 3g?

O geez u right! That's my noobist knowledge for u there. Now I will need to bother that guy again to help me calibrate the thing once more! I literally spend 4h last night doing that lol, well now that I know what to expect I hope the process will go quicker. I just hope he will decide to help me do this again lol.

Also there is an option in the P95 for available memory to use. It refers to the RAM memory right? I have 4g what should I set it to, 3g?

I've never actually tried a custom test, and therefore haven't touched the memory settings for P95. Do you want to specifically test the memory or are you just curious about the setting? I'd leave it alone for now, or just do a Blend test so it tests some of everything.

And also, why do you have to mess around with the calibrations again? I don't see how it would make a difference? I think you'll be fine by just setting your torture threads to (4) and observing temperatures.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom