CPU Upgrade

Jason8284

Daemon Poster
I've been wanting to upgrade my E6700 for a bit, and can't make up my mind on what cpu to get. It's going to be either the Q6600 or the E8400. Will I see a better improvement from my 6700 to 8400? my e6700 is OC'd to 3ghz right now.

Anyhow, I use my computer for hardcore gaming, surfing the net, and everyday casual computer use. When I game, the most apps I have open is speedfan and mcafee.

First off,quad core vs Dual core...but the real deal is: You need either a faster bus speed or processing power. 6MB L2 cache is the size for the E8400, 4MB is the Core 2 Quad. 1066 is the quad, 1333 is the duo.

Honestly, a good upgrade is the E8400. Games still don't use the 4 cores, let alone two.

Also, to speed things up, use NOD32....Mcaffee is crap.

First off,quad core vs Dual core...but the real deal is: You need either a faster bus speed or processing power. 6MB L2 cache is the size for the E8400, 4MB is the Core 2 Quad. 1066 is the quad, 1333 is the duo.

Honestly, a good upgrade is the E8400. Games still don't use the 4 cores, let alone two.

Also, to speed things up, use NOD32....Mcaffee is crap.

E6700 to Q6600 is only worth it for media encoding and editing otherwise, unless you've got money to blow. You really don't need to upgrade, there have been no major architectural advancements and it's just not worth it. Ride it out until Nehalem/45nm Phenoms.

upgrading to E8400 would be a good upgrade. as lhuser and worshipme said, Q6600 just isnt needed right now and wont be for a year or more until games are coded for quad core architechture. i think you'd be very happy with an e8400 and that'd keep you going for a while...

i dont think the upgrade to the 8400 is justified at the moment yes it will be slightly faster but only a few FPS.

lookin at your rig your good for a few more months until some big breakthrough on the 45nm's

The real question is: Are you unhappy with the E6700? Even @ 3000Mhz?

If you truly have problems with its speed and have performance issues, then an upgrade might be reasonable, but I'd still wait for the newer chips coming out toward the end of this year.

Perhaps try and get another ~200MHz out of your E6700, it has a 10x multi, so make use of it. An E8400 just isn't going to give you a big enough performance increase over your current CPU for it's price tag.

I decided I'll wait. But I did just order a Tuniq Tower so I can overclock my cpu a bit more, and to keep it a lot cooler.

Thank you all for the input

Back
Top Bottom