Problems after formatting windows XP

jindivik

Beta member
i've got a problem i can't get my head around, maybe someone can help?

My pc got infected with some nasty spyware...Virtumonde?? and various other nasties, i decided to format...before formatting i tried to do the built in system restore function but it lost my system root folder or something?... i'd had enough by that point so went for the format

i ran it all from the windows XP disc, i found that i had 2 partitions on my hard drive.... partition one reads "-: Partition1 (EISA Utilities) and my second partition is my c:/ drive

i assumed windows was installed on the c:/ so i formatted it using the instructions on screen...formatted and reinstalled windows...windows boots up fine, but it looks like none of my sound card drivers have installed...no sound comes from my speakers, just the little beeps from the speaker in my actual base unit, i can't install any network connections, i've tried unplugging & replugging my modem/router but it still doesn't pick it up

i think i have 2 versions of windows still installed.... it gives me 2 options, top option loads the new version...bottom option tells me cannot run because <windows root>/system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

does anyone have any idea what i can do to fix this?... i tried reformatting the c:/ drive again but still have the same problem

thanks in advance...really doing my head in!.... need anymore info just ask :)

You need to install the driver software for the sound interface, network card, etc.

Do you have the Drivers CD?

it all came already installed on the computer, thought it would automatically install?.... and what about the other version of windows that appears?...could they be installed on that version already, stopping me from installing them on the working version?

once you reformat the computer you lose all the settings the drivers etc and the reason your modem/router isnt working is no 1 because the drivers arent installed and no 2 because you need to re configure it using the details your isp gave you.

Matt

i just tried to install the driver for my router...firmwire, whatever it's called?... said it couldnt connect, my isp gave me no details, i bought the router because we got a new computer in the house, it worked as soon as i plugged it in last time, cant understand why...and can anyone tell me why the other version of windows is still on my computer...if i formatted my c:/ drive...twice?.............

you didn't delete the original partition and recreate it so now you have two Windows installs in your boot.ini, one won't work because the files were overwritten by the second install.

You should be able to remove the redundant entry by opening msconfig (Start > Run > Type in msconfig > click OK) and clicking on the boot.ini tab then clicking the "Check all boot paths" button.

As for the rest of it you need to install drivers (not firmware) for the devices, your sound drivers will be on the m/board disk (if it is onboard) or on the drivers disk that came with the sound card (if it is a pci card) and the same with your NIC (Network Interface card for your ethernet) and modem/router drivers. If you do not have the disks the drivers will be d/loadable from the vendors website.

Once you have the correct drivers installed for your modem/router you'll need to configure your email settings etc to the settings provided by your ISP.

you didn't delete the original partition and recreate it so now you have two Windows installs in your boot.ini, one won't work because the files were overwritten by the second install.

You should be able to remove the redundant entry by opening msconfig (Start > Run > Type in msconfig > click OK) and clicking on the boot.ini tab then clicking the "Check all boot paths" button.

Wow, someone that understands this. Last time I told someone that everyone said I was retarded.

OP, he is correct on this part and the other about installing drivers. It has nothing to do with your router, the software to control the network card in your computer is not installed and the OS doesn't know how to communicate with it.

Back
Top Bottom