HDD making very weird noise...

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
I just noticed when I move page up or page down on my browser (IE) my HDD (WD640AAKS) which is in raid 0 is making a very low frequency noise, reminds me of a dentists drill, but much lower (kind of hearsmy ears, lol, well not really)

Anyway to fix this?

Thanks

That's odd. You sure the hdd is ok? You could go to WD's website and download the diagnostics tool to make sure.

I guess you could also try disabling the page file and see if that helps.

backup everything now, and get diagnostics going on it as the guys above stated

backup everything now

Especially on a RAID 0 array.

But to be honest this kind off array means that both these drives will be accessed at the same time for infomation so you might get harmonious sounds from them as they're accessed. Also i'm still learning about Page Files. But If your Page File is on this array then that might explain the need to access the array when you move the page up and down in IE.

Why not use FireFox BTW???

It's Not the program he is using,its the data its acsessing,which is on the hardrive,stored in the pagefile.

Download THIS Tool,And Run it,this will diagnose any problems with your hardrive.

As other members have stated,if you havnt done a backup,i HIGHLY Reccomend you do one right away!

That's odd. You sure the hdd is ok? You could go to WD's website and download the diagnostics tool to make sure.

I guess you could also try disabling the page file and see if that helps.

The HDD's are new about 3 days old, where do I need to go to disable the page files?

Thank you, downloaded it yesterday and did a "quick check" everything was fine, I will do a detailed check today when I get home from work.

backup everything now, and get diagnostics going on it as the guys above stated

I will do a full diagnostic once I get home today. The HDD is new so I almost dont have anything on ot.

Especially on a RAID 0 array.

But to be honest this kind off array means that both these drives will be accessed at the same time for infomation so you might get harmonious sounds from them as they're accessed. Also i'm still learning about Page Files. But If your Page File is on this array then that might explain the need to access the array when you move the page up and down in IE.

Why not use FireFox BTW???

I will switch to Opera when I get home, maybe that will fix it. I will keep u posted, I will be home later on 2 night.

It's Not the program he is using,its the data its acsessing,which is on the hardrive,stored in the pagefile.

Download THIS Tool,And Run it,this will diagnose any problems with your hardrive.

As other members have stated,if you havnt done a backup,i HIGHLY Reccomend you do one right away!

Thanks, I downloaded this thing yesterday, did a simple check and everything was fine, I will do a full one when I get home. I will keep u all posted,

Thanks

I get a weird noise coming from my computer when I move the mouse, but its only noticable at night when theres hardly any ambient noise.
Could be your picking up frequencies from the CPU? Its possible you know I believe, just like when overclocking your video card, you can hear that ticking away, or at least I can.

I get a weird noise coming from my computer when I move the mouse, but its only noticable at night when theres hardly any ambient noise.
Could be your picking up frequencies from the CPU? Its possible you know I believe, just like when overclocking your video card, you can hear that ticking away, or at least I can.

I get the same noise when i'm using my headphones with the volume on full on a quiet passage.

This is digital interference from high digital frequencies and is due to insufficient shielding.

When I buy a decent Audio card/Interface with a high S/N ratio this might disappear.

Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Probably wrong, as I'm not using onboard sound. I'm using a Creative X-Fi sound card, so the SNR should be pretty good. I guess it still depends on where it is within your computer though, but mine should have none, being just above the PSU, away from any other add in cards.
The sound doesn't seem to come from the speakers/headphones anyway, but internal.

Back
Top Bottom