Computer's making loud noise

There is no such thing as a stupid question. There is such a thing as a stupid answer.
@ OTSS, that wasn't a stupid answer at all, it's a definite possibility.

Unhook all ur fans one at a time and if the noise goes away its probly the bearings in a fan, if not probly the PSU.

Excuse me for getting back on this thread a little late. I didn't really have a chance to figure out what was wrong and try out some of the suggestions that you guys here suggested due to my busy schedule.

Well, I just checked and when I power up my computer the little ASUS fan on the motherboard seems to spin at inconsistant speed very very slowly. That was the problem which was making all that loud noises. Now the noise had stop; but another problem has arised: that fan stopped spinning. Ummm??? Now what?:confused: How important is that fan anyways? It seems to work fine anyways without it spinning. But I'm just curious because it's meant to be spin. Is it there to cool down something? What is it's purposes? Is it time for a new fan upgrade?

I would appreciate anyone getting back on this. Thanks.:D

That little fan helps to keep the north bridge chip nice and cool. It's not a good thing that it stopped, but it's not the end of the world either. As long as you have decent airflow through the case and you're not overclocking, it should be OK. But it would be a good idea to either replace it or try giving it a little tune up. In some cases, you can remove the fan and give it a drop of oil to get it going again. There should be a small hole under the sticker on the fan.

Zalman makes a nice little replacement heatsink that works really well: ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsink

That little fan helps to keep the north bridge chip nice and cool. It's not a good thing that it stopped, but it's not the end of the world either. As long as you have decent airflow through the case and you're not overclocking, it should be OK. But it would be a good idea to either replace it or try giving it a little tune up. In some cases, you can remove the fan and give it a drop of oil to get it going again. There should be a small hole under the sticker on the fan.

Zalman makes a nice little replacement heatsink that works really well: ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsink

Thanks for the link Atomic Rooster; just when I was going to ask for getting one. BTW, what is overclocking? I hear it all the time on CPUs but never really know or understand what it is or what it does. Is there such thing as the south bridge. What is the north bridge and how do you know if it's north or south?

Overclocking is making the components of your computer such as CPU and video cards, run faster than what they were designed for.

The northbridge chip typically handles communications between the CPU, RAM, AGP or PCI Express, and the southbridge. The southbridge handles things like the IDE (SATA or PATA) controller, USB, ethernet, audio, etc.

Here's a diagram that may help out:

382px-Motherboard_diagram.png

Overclocking is making the components of your computer such as CPU and video cards, run faster than what they were designed for.

The northbridge chip typically handles communications between the CPU, RAM, AGP or PCI Express, and the southbridge. The southbridge handles things like the IDE (SATA or PATA) controller, USB, ethernet, audio, etc.

Here's a diagram that may help out:

382px-Motherboard_diagram.png

Thanks Atomic Rooster. That's a nice diagram. I want to learn more about OC. Can you show me the steps involved in overclocking? What do I need to configure in the BIOS and the CPU or whatever there is that I need to do? Is the process reversible if you happen not to like it?

Anyone's advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.:)

OC'ing is a bit of an art. And something you just don't do. Prepare your system for an OC first. That means making sure the chip fan is replaced with a working unit.

Your Mobo is pretty much the same as mine. And depending on your CPU - OC'ing involves the HT speed, RAM divider, FSB and maybe OV'ing to make an OC stable. This is just touching on the OC'ing topic and before I did my first OC I researched the topic for a month during which time I prep'd my set up for OC'ing.

:)

Back
Top Bottom