Q9450 High Temps!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Today I finally finished assembling my new PC!

My specs;

Q9450
DFI P35 LP UT
9800GTX
G Skill 4G 1066
WD640AAKS (HDD)
Vists 64
...etc

This temps are from Everest & Core temp app
Core 1 = 35c
Core 2 = 35c
Core 3 = 48c
Core 4 = 46
Chipset 38c
PWN = 36c

As u can see the diff between the cores are ALMOST 10c !!! What did I do
wrong? I am using "Ultima 90" with the Noctua 90mm fan.

I applyed thermal paste the way Arctic Silver website showed it. I know it will take a 2-3 days for the thermal paste to sink in, but 10c diff is huge!!

What u guys think I should do?

I tried applying the paste in the way AS's site indicates, but I found the paste didn't spread out properly. The best way spread the paste is and always has been IMO to spread a very thin layer over the whole of the IHS. And that brings up another possibility, have you checks the flatness of the IHS? Is it concave or convex. Some of the cores under the IHS may be in better contact. And you should also check your HS's base.

What is "IHS"? :)

I have lapped my "Ultima 90" HS its supposed to be almost as good as the "True 120"

Quick question about ram,

I have 4g of 1066 memory, on the load screen it shows im runing it as 800, well thats because my mobo is 800 native. On the CPU-Z it shows that its running as 400Mhz at 5-5-5-15 FSB 5:6 how do i make it run as 1066?

here is the link to it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

how do i make it run as 1066?

go to the bios and change the speed to 1066. It depends on the bios, sometimes you can just change the speed, sometimes it's the divider you need to change etc. But it will be somewhere in the bios.

What is "IHS"?
Intergrated heat spreader. The piece of metal that sits on top of the core(s).
I have 4g of 1066 memory, on the load screen it shows im runing it as 800, well thats because my mobo is 800 native. On the CPU-Z it shows that its running as 400Mhz at 5-5-5-15 FSB 5:6 how do i make it run as 1066?
At the default maximum FSB speed of 1333MHz (333MHz), your motherboard does not have a divider to run the RAM at 1066. You will need to increase you FSB speed to allow the RAM to run at 1066. RAM speed = FSB x 2 x divider.

Intergrated heat spreader. The piece of metal that sits on top of the core(s).

At the default maximum FSB speed of 1333MHz (333MHz), your motherboard does not have a divider to run the RAM at 1066. You will need to increase you FSB speed to allow the RAM to run at 1066. RAM speed = FSB x 2 x divider.

Dont know about the dividers, but I have the option to run DRAM at 1066 (its the top one) dont know id i need to rais fsb to run that or not tho..

Guys im going CRAZY HERE!!!

I just spend 2h reseating my HS/CPU and the difference in temps are almost identical!!!! and I used the cc method, the first time was the line method..

Core Temp
35c for cores 1-2
48c for cores 3-4

Real Temp 2.5
25c for cores 1-2
37c for cores 3-4

All my bolts are seated tight, not CRAZY tight, but unless u use STRONG force u cant turn them anymore.

How can I fix this ! ?

Thanks

A lot of the 45nm Wolfdales have faulty heat sensors, so there's a good chance the Yorkfield's do too as they're just two dual core duck taped together. ATF's E3110 does and it drives him mad so he put his Q6600 back in. The temp difference between my cores is about 5c max so I think you have faulty sensors in two of the cores, but which ones lol??
Dont know about the dividers, but I have the option to run DRAM at 1066 (its the top one) dont know id i need to rais fsb to run that or not tho..
If your BIOS does have a divider for 1066, then go ahead and select it, but have you checked your DRAM voltage and timings are running at spec first? But bear in mind that when you start overclocking, your RAM frequency will increase with the FSB so best change it back to 1:1 before you start OC'ing.

He's already been through that. And after testing, I don't find it gives the best results either.

Well I'm runing a stock Intel HS now and no luck :( Here are the temps;

RealTemp 2.5
Core 1-2 = 27c
Core 3-4 = 40c

CoreTemp 0.98.1
Core 1-2 = 37c
Core 3-4 = 49c

So I guess maybe it the IHS right? or the the heatsensor? maybe I should lap the IHS, but then if it doesnt work i cant exchange it....

Back
Top Bottom