Such an amazing day... Just landed an AMAZING job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacuums?! You've gotta be shittin me...Well over a 100 Grand a YearI'm still not buying it. Somethings dirty in denmark Ghost, and I have a feeling your going to find out the hard way. Think about it, NOONE is buying into this story. Hell I had to make sure this wasn't one of DarkNights story telling threads! I showed this to a few of my buddies I work with and they were all in tears laughing.

Good Luck.

dude

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm

such a scamming company

In answering an add in the newspaper for a customer service position for $475-$700, I went to the interview. I was told it was a full time position, and the hours were from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. I was told I would deal with private customer and small businesses within the area of a 10 to 15 mile radius. I was told there were numerous bonuses and commission. What I was not told was that I would be a door to door Kirby salesman. I attended the orientation all day and 2 more full days of training, all unpaid. I was told I had to be in every morning at 8:30 am for a short morning meeting (2 hrs also not paid). At around 10:30, after singing ridiculous songs, I am handed an appointment slip only to learn I have a 45 miles drive (one way), and my appointment is at 11 am. There is no reimbursement for gas, and if you do not do 15 appointments a week there is also no base pay--only commission. Therefore, if you don't sell a $2000.00 vacuum for the week after putting about 500 miles on yout car and about $125.00 in gas, then you don't receive a paycheck.

When 2 employees were late for the so called morning meeting (already mentioned you do not get paid to be there), they were told if they were late twice and had any bonuses due to them, they would not get them. They are like a cult who expect 7 days of work out of approx. 12 hrs per day ann expect you to also attend out-of- state, all-day meetings--again without getting paid, but with the offer of free lunch. OH WOW!

This is the worst company to ever be employed with. There only interest is to pressure consumers into buying the Kirby without any regard for either the consumer or their employees. So beware when you receive the call for a free carpet cleaning or floor buff, and remember nothing in life is free. Just say "No". And last but not at all least, to all of you who paid between $1300.00 to $1600.00 or more, if you held out a little longer you have paid $995.00 like most do. BUYER BEWARE. EMPLOYEE BEWARE EVEN MORE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Company

Sales representatives

Kirby uses a rank structure where newly recruited sales representatives perform sales and demonstrations.

Sales representatives are encouraged to be motivated while working at Kirby, sing motivational songs, listen to motivational speeches, and are rewarded with prizes and sales medals.

Dealers are located in several countries throughout the world.

While mostly legal, Kirby's door-to-door tactics are considered by many to be unethical and intrusive. There are several documented cases ([7])of consumers being mislead into thinking they are getting a free room of cleaning, when in fact they are being set up for a "20-45 minute" in-home demostration that often takes several hours. The sales people are trained to target the elderly and women, will not leave the home when asked, and will often use intimidation tactics to coerce people into buying their products.

[edit] Details

Sales procedures vary with each dealer, but the basics include:

* "Canvassing," in which a prospective neighborhood is solicited. The target demographic is normally a middle or upper middle class home with owners who are employed and have satisfactory credit. Salesmen often pitch that they are "demonstrating" or "promoting" a free vacuuming or carpet shampoo cleaning rather than soliciting a product.

* The salesman visits the customer's home and vacuums the customer's home with his/her current cleaner and the Kirby, using various techniques that purport to show the superiority of the Kirby. (The Kirby's suction is often demonstrated while its bag is removed and replaced with demonstrations pads as per to show the performance of the machine and the dirt pulled... As the suction is established prior to entering the bag, this does not affect the suction in any way what so ever.[8])

* An initial price is offered to the customer. The Kirby is presented as a long term investment or a home care system, superior to other vacuums. Either a manager is brought in to the demonstration, or the salesperson may call their manager to offer higher discounts until the customer is able to pay by cash or use a payment plan. During this procedure the price may drop to a third of its original level.[3] The price a Kirby is initially offered at may be up £2000 in the UK [9] and the majority of Kirby's are sold on credit with interest rates of 18% to 25% [10]

* A three day return and deal cancellation period is promised to US customers, but often seems hard to use. There are repeated reports of Kirby salesmen using high pressure techniques and staying, sometimes in large numbers, in homes until a sale is made [4]

* In the UK, sales representatives or 'dealers' as they like to be called are under extreme pressure to make sales, and under even more pressure to obtain refferals or leads. The salary offered is £1500/month (2008) but only if they can satisfy certain criteria which is, perform 50 demonstrations per month. They normally perform 2 demonstrations per day during the week, one at 6pm and another at 8pm, however it is quite common for a demonstration to 'run over' thus affecting the time they arrive at the second demonstration. On weekends the dealers are expected to fit in between 6 and 8 demonstrations however it is unlikely that they are lucky enough to manage even 6 demonstrations.

* Because it is unlikely that they can manage to perform 50 demonstrations in a month, and obtain 50 leads per day, some managers will not allow their dealers to demonstrate if they do not fullfill their quota of refferals. It is rare that the dealer receives his £1500 salary despite working from 9am till quite often 10 or 11pm, (from 9am to 6pm the dealers are going door to door offering 'free' raffle tickets in which one of the prizes is a complimentary carpet shampoo), they aim to obtain at least 50 leads from this excercise per day but it is extremely difficult and tiring to do so.

* Kirby dealers are employed by local distributors on a 'self employed basis', this is mainly to avoid the maximum working hours regulations and it isn't long before the dealer burns himself out after working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week.

* Staff turnover is huge, sometime up to 70 trainees per month, 90% of trainees leave within the first month of employment

* "Purchasing Plans" offered are actually loans that can adversely affect credit. Kirby is known to work the financing so the customer ends up paying up to 300% more than the price they are told.

Sorry but something doesn't seem right. Making 100 grand or more selling vacuums? If it's possible, then why don't more people do it? I wouldn't want some salesman in my house and getting my carpet dirty so he can waste my time and show me how great the vacuum is. Yeah kirbys are supposed to be great vacuums and all, but I think a lot of people would rather save themselves the hassle and harassment of a salesman and just walk into sears and buy a dyson or a hoover.
I was always told if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. In this case I think making a ton of money selling vacuums is too good to be true.

We had them come down to our house around 5 years back or more, demonstrating what it could do with the matress, etc, and they stayed for ages.
Basically though, they didn't get a sale.

We had them come down to our house around 5 years back or more, demonstrating what it could do with the matress, etc, and they stayed for ages.
Basically though, they didn't get a sale.

Haha yeah, they've been here a few times, cleaned our front room carpet reaaaaal nice.. but uh, yeah, no sale. :cool:

I feel sorry for ghost, ghost you can work for me one day maybe, il sort something out, ill try get some leaflets for you to post

2pound for every 200hourses you get lol

Oh yeah, and the reason the Kirby company is allowed to treat their employees so generously is because they have NO overhead. You will NEVER see any Kirby commercials on tv, the radio, billboards, etc. This means there are no advertisers to pay with the profit BEFORE they pay their employees. Straight profit directly to employees. $$$$$$
Haha, incorrect sir. Advertising lowers overhead. Fixed costs stay the same, sales will go up some even just a little, and therefore, more profit.

yea i searched kirby up on the internet and apparently the salesmen find it really really hard to sell one, and they steal stuff from people's houses when they go in, and they keep pressuring you to buy the vaccum even if you say no over and over.

also, they have a very high turnover rate, where 90% of new workers quit after a month because of the stress of the job.

haha damn straight! How many people do they think want to buy a goddamn vacuum cleaner? I will go as far to make them drive to my house and show me a free demonstration and clean my carpet but after that...no sale for you buddy! lol

From that site:

Ken of Branford CT (03/11/08)
In answering an add in the newspaper for a customer service position for $475-$700, I went to the interview. I was told it was a full time position, and the hours were from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. I was told I would deal with private customer and small businesses within the area of a 10 to 15 mile radius. I was told there were numerous bonuses and commission. What I was not told was that I would be a door to door Kirby salesman. I attended the orientation all day and 2 more full days of training, all unpaid. I was told I had to be in every morning at 8:30 am for a short morning meeting (2 hrs also not paid). At around 10:30, after singing ridiculous songs, I am handed an appointment slip only to learn I have a 45 miles drive (one way), and my appointment is at 11 am. There is no reimbursement for gas, and if you do not do 15 appointments a week there is also no base pay--only commission. Therefore, if you don't sell a $2000.00 vacuum for the week after putting about 500 miles on yout car and about $125.00 in gas, then you don't receive a paycheck.

When 2 employees were late for the so called morning meeting (already mentioned you do not get paid to be there), they were told if they were late twice and had any bonuses due to them, they would not get them. They are like a cult who expect 7 days of work out of approx. 12 hrs per day ann expect you to also attend out-of- state, all-day meetings--again without getting paid, but with the offer of free lunch. OH WOW!

This is the worst company to ever be employed with. There only interest is to pressure consumers into buying the Kirby without any regard for either the consumer or their employees. So beware when you receive the call for a free carpet cleaning or floor buff, and remember nothing in life is free. Just say "No". And last but not at all least, to all of you who paid between $1300.00 to $1600.00 or more, if you held out a little longer you have paid $995.00 like most do. BUYER BEWARE. EMPLOYEE BEWARE EVEN MORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom