quick question about road rules

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so my dad got pulled over today.
heres the thing, there was 2 police cars writing up a guy on the right on a 3 lane road i think. my dad drove on the middle lane and drove past the pulled over vehicle and the 2 police cars, then about 150 ft later going 40mph, my dad got pulled over by 1 of the the 2 police, and gave him a ticket. the reason was "Failed to Yield the right of way to stationary emergency vehicle"
none can figure what he did wrong, the people on the fast lane was safe, and i wasnt sure if there was other people on the same lane as him.
anybody know why he was pulled over, or what to do?

Here's something I found:

Yielding right-of-way to stationary authorized emergency vehicle.
(a) A motorist approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying flashing emergency lights shall yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four lanes with not less than two lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle.

I'm guessing this is because usually people have to exit the emergency vehicles in a hurry. So this way they should be able to jump out without worrying about getting ran over (though I bet they still check at least 3 times before jumping out just to make sure :D) aswell as giving them room if they need to run around getting some stuff from their car.

if he wasent in the lane or they werent taking off then those cops were tripin! if there on the right and he drives by in the middle lane that shouldnet matter....

Hmm...Odd. As a First Responder myself I learned in E.V.O.C (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course) that (in the State of Alabama anyway) we as first responders can NOT demand or expect Right of Way from civilian cars going to, on or leaving an emergency scene.

Meaning, if I'm shag-assing down the road in a fire truck going to a house fire, brush fire or a car wreck then any cars I meet don't have to pull over and give me room, granted most folks do...matter of fact I've never met one who didn't. But they don't have to. This applied to Ambulances as well, I'm not sure about police/state troopers though.

Well, that still doesn't make sense why he was pulled over for being in the middle lane. How many lanes does a cop need to drive in? If they needed 2 lanes, the highway would bottleneck into 1 lane until the traffic stop was done... That would cause more problems...

Back
Top Bottom