Comp Build

Impruv

In Runtime
So, I plan to build a new computer in the summer; possibly June or July. I was wondering if any major advances in CPU's/gfx cards/etc... will be coming up to lower some of the prices now.

I basically did a little check for the prices and types of parts I want with what is out now.
My budget is roughly 1100 CDN

I guess it will be easier for most of you in the states, if I used newegg.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6363905

Any suggestions will be great. I might switch the SLI into just one 8800GT. I'm also looking for a monitor as well. Any suggestions? 22" preferably.

So, I plan to build a new computer in the summer; possibly June or July. I was wondering if any major advances in CPU's/gfx cards/etc... will be coming up to lower some of the prices now.

I basically did a little check for the prices and types of parts I want with what is out now.
My budget is roughly 1100 CDN

I guess it will be easier for most of you in the states, if I used newegg.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6363905

Any suggestions will be great. I might switch the SLI into just one 8800GT. I'm also looking for a monitor as well. Any suggestions? 22" preferably.

for about $5 more, you could get a dvd burner, the dvd rom you got listed is out of stock anyway...

well like I said, I'm using the newegg website for the sake of this site, as all my local computer stores I go to carry all the specified parts at similar if not cheaper prices.
But yes, I forgot about a dvd burner drive. Thanks.

The biggest new part that will be coming between now and then are the HD 4800 series cards. AMD seem to have struck gold with these chips and they are looking awesome. There might also be some leaked 45nm Phenom and Nvidia 9900 benchmarks by then but that's unlikely.
Here is a chart for the specs of RV770:

As you can see, RV770 will have support for GDDR5 memory running at up to a 4GHz effective speed, 480 stream processors and twice the TMUs as RV670.

And nobody knows whether these are genuine or not but I don't personnnally believe them:

http://forums.hexus.net/graphics-ca...870-ve-1gb-geforce-9800-gx2-crysis-tests.html

http://www.bilgiustam.com/512mb-ati...orce-9800-gx2-crysis-ve-3dmark-2006-testleri/

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_22869046/tm.htm

A 9600GT SLI setup is nice but like all multi-GPU setups, you never know what you're getting. In one game, you may get almost double the performance of one card, and in another, performance can be abysmal. At least when you're running a single card, you know what performance you are going to get. Also the other thing is that it forces you to get an Nvidia board which don't have the excellent overclocking abilities that the P35/X38 do.

You might also want to consider a Phenom X2 when they are out. The 9850 X4 matches and sometimes betters the Q6600 in benchmarks and it's overclocking capabilities aren't bad either. 3.4GHz isn't too shabby, and you get CrossfireX support with the 790FX.

So you can expect even more from the Phenom X2, especially a black edition.

So from what I gather worshipme, you are saying that if these are as 'great' as these tests show, it will push a price drop for the current generations of the parts? If so, wooot! Or are you saying I should wait a bit longer and buy these up and coming wonders?

I don't personnally think those are genuine. But, just by looking at the pricing, I think we can see that these cards are going to be monsters. In the situation that AMD is in now, they wouldn't price any of their cards above Nvidia's if they couldn't compete. And some may say that the $349 MSPR is due to the expensive GDDR5 memory, but if RV770 couldn't use all that bandwidth and speed, the cards would have been equipped with GDDR3. So with the HD 4870 being priced higher than the 9800GTX, I think that's where performance will be.

I don't personnally think those are genuine. But, just by looking at the pricing, I think we can see that these cards are going to be monsters. In the situation that AMD is in now, they wouldn't price any of their cards above Nvidia's if they couldn't compete. And some may say that the $349 MSPR is due to the expensive GDDR5 memory, but if RV770 couldn't use all that bandwidth and speed, the cards would have been equipped with GDDR3. So with the HD 4870 being priced higher than the 9800GTX, I think that's where performance will be.

Alright, thanks for the information. Guess only a slight change in price might happen in the next month or so, probably not.

what is 1100 CDN in AU???
about 1150?

I think it's best to wait until you're actually going to be buying the parts before we recommend any, but in short, here's what's coming:

May/June 2008: RV770 HD 4800 (HD 4850/HD 4870/HD 4870X2
July/August: Nvidia GT200 9900GTX 9900GTS
Q3 2008: 45nm Phenoms. 3.2GHz clock speeds expected + triple the L3 cache and other architectural improvements.

Those are the only significant parts that will appear before or around the time you are going to be building your system.

Back
Top Bottom