Windows 2000 Installing Hardware Freezes

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok well jus trying to sort an old 2000 computer out the first problem i had was the ethernet contrller was not installed and all it showed was PCI ethernet controller in device manager so couldt tell what make it was so i download everest on my laptop and put it on usb key and transfer it to the key.

put it in the 2000 computer and it starts to install but freezes when it searches for a driver in windows.

so i cant get everest onto her comp it has no ethernet connection what can i do other than repairing the whole thing which isnt an option as i dont have a 2000 disk.

i have looked about the possibility of o byte inf files in windows folder and there is none, what can i do.

Edit. tried doing it manuall and pointing to the correct place windows/inf/diskdrv.inf and ir freezes.

well I ain't sure on it because it sounds lik it freezes due to the usb, I think maybe try another usb or something.

try this 1st

Copy to hard drive, and then try to run it. Also, chances could be due to the fact the board might not support such detections...but really, that's one in a 1000.

Copy to hard drive, and then try to run it. Also, chances could be due to the fact the board might not support such detections...but really, that's one in a 1000.

ok not sure if this is what you meant but i took the hd out of the comp put it in my comp copied everest there put hd back booted everest found the right driver now when i try install it, it freezes at the same point when the usb trying to install did.

this computer does not want to install any new hardware

ok, it is either because the driver is not meant for the 9x kernel, ME is being stupid (Like usual), or something could not be working in the driver. Have you tried the proper driver from the manufacturer or is it he one you're trying to install?

yh its manafacturer driver and is it not coinsaence that it freezes when installing 2 diff usb pen drives and the ethernet controller ?

That could be Windows...the kernel is extremelly lousy on those ME systems, so don't worry. That was a common problem in the past, while installing certain hardware. My best bet is to slap in a Windows 2000 CD.

he he my thoughts exactly except............ i dont have a windows 2000 c.d everything for me now its XP excpet the comp is old .

were talking celeron 700Mhz 64Mb RAM.

i have memory faster than this whole machine lol.

Back
Top Bottom