Quick raid question.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I have finally finished my build, YA! :D (I'l post pics later)

I think I successfully managed to setup raid 0. Now I need to install windows, but b4 I do that I need to set up raid controller. After I press F6 for the 3rd party drivers, It is giving me lots of options to choose from. I decided to use my unbeatable logic and settled on one of the options "ICH9 sata ahcl controller", the name of my sata on the mobo is "ICH9". There are 2 versions, one is 32 bit and the other is 64. I will be installing a dual boot on this pc. First will be Windows XP 32 bit (that's the one im trying to install first) and the 2nd one is Vista 64. Will the Vista be asking me for the same thing? If yes I guess I need to install 32 bit sata first for the xp? And when I will be installing Vista, I would have to install the raid drivers again? selectting 64 bit right?

Thanks.

***EDIT***

I just noticed I forgat to install the IO shield in the back WOW! lol Can I install IO from the back (outside) or does it have to be thrue the inside of the case?

Ok, the two versions often come with different driver packaging. You might need one for just XP, but not on Vista, but you could be needing them on both. A good advancement in Vista is that you can load the driver from floppy, but also from CD-ROM, and even a USB drive!

As for your I/O shield...no. It's going to ruin your I/O shield if you try it like that, but you can run it without one. I ran 3 systems like that, due to the lack of an I/O shield.

Ok, the two versions often come with different driver packaging. You might need one for just XP, but not on Vista, but you could be needing them on both. A good advancement in Vista is that you can load the driver from floppy, but also from CD-ROM, and even a USB drive!

As for your I/O shield...no. It's going to ruin your I/O shield if you try it like that, but you can run it without one. I ran 3 systems like that, due to the lack of an I/O shield.

Ok ic what u mean. The floppy that came with my mobo don't have support for vista, I will have to download it later my self.

One thing I'm still unclear about, I will be installing XP 32 bit first, and the Vista 64 bit later (dual boot). When I'm installing XP its giving me 2 version for the raid controller, one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. Because I will be installing Vista 64 bit later do I need to select 64 bit for XP? Even tho that XP is 32 bit... Does this make sense? lol

For the IO, I took the mobo out and installed it properly. Stayed up until 3am lats night, I'm at work now and feel like shit lol

Select 32-bit, since it's for a 32-bit OS. Vista will use the 64-bit. It's just a communication interface. Nothing will happend between both.

Enjoy RAID...know that RAID 0 has no fault tolerance, so make sure you back up your data!

Back
Top Bottom