What we use, why we use it, and why we don't use the other.

MikeReiner

Golden Master
There have been so many random posts of why such and such hates/loves such and such about such and such OS.

I thought maybe we could have a civil discussion on our thoughts about operation systems.

Please only post your thoughts, and avoid responding directly to what anybody else had said unless it's constructive and adds to the discussion.
(No comments such as 'Because windows sucks!!11' will be appreciated coming from any Mac or Linux users. Constructive non-fanboyish reasons, people.)
Thanks.

I'll start.
I use Windows XP. I use it because it's light on the system and does all my tasks quickly and with no hassle. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

I don't use linux mostly because I play games too much. Sometimes it's a real hassle to run software not preloaded in Ubuntu's synaptic package manager. Pretty much everything that is on the other hand, is effortless to use.

I don't use vista because I have yet to see any reason to. I look at it and see a new UI theme, a bigger install size, and much greater system requirements than that of XP. I don't like having this UAC thing go "Hey, you just double clicked that icon. You ok with that?" and having absolutely no protection if you disable it.

I have 2 gigs of ram with a dual core processor, I think my system is good enough for vista.. but, why? I run an OS on this system right now that could run on a machine made 8 years ago with virtually no decrease in overall performance from the previous OS.

The only reason I can see that DX10 is limited to Vista is so that Microsoft can get people to buy it. As far as I can tell, DX10 and DX9 are nearly identical.

Also, while this does not relate to the quality of Vista, I don't think I'm alone when I say that I am less than impressed with Vista/DX10 marketing done by Microsoft.
They try to advertise that DX10 can do this:
directx10_screen.jpg

And DX9 can only do this:
directx9_screen.jpg

Which just about anybody can tell you is a load of crap.

Reference:
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/AboutGFW/Pages/directx10-a.aspx

I use Vista simply because I like to keep up with current/new technology and love to try new things. I haven't had any major problems with Vista and I'm extremely happy with its user interface, looks, and performance. The only thing I miss from Windows XP is its relatively low use of system resources as Mike stated in his post. Otherwise, I'm happy.

I used Vista first because it was a new build, so why not. On my second rig, I had a copy of XP Pro for, but after getting used to Vista(and really digging it), I opted for it there also.

I like Vista; it looks good, moves fast if you have the hardware, awesome built in disk management/partition manager, great back-up utility, and a much more comprehensive media center.... which you are without unless you picked up windows media center addition. IMHO, it blows XP out of the water.

I don't use Linux because I simply don't know how. I have Unbuntu installed on an old Dell here, and when I get the time, I plan on learning. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Oh, as far as DX10.... I could really care less since I'm not a hardcore gamer.

The halo picture is from DX9. But that isn't really a good indication when games like Crysis, Gears of War, and pretty much anything else that advertises DX10 support work with nearly identical graphics on DX9. I believe gears of war has Anti aliasing support, and thats it. Apparently it's shader just can't make AA work on DX9.

Crysis has a few features only available in DX10 that can be enabled in DX9, meaning some of their DX10 only stuff is just lies. Sure, theres an effect or two that seriously only works on DX10, but that doesn't change the fact they lied.

I use linux for many reasons

1. It is free-in both senses of the word
2. It is very customizable
3. I love the applications
4. It is fast
5. No viruses, trojans, spyware, none of that
6. You don't have to go through MS when you install Windows on another computer
7. Very useful software for free
8. Compiz Fusion is freaking amazing
9. If I ever have a problem I go to the forums, it is likely someone else had my same problem
10. It feels nicer IMO than any other OS

The halo picture is from DX9. But that isn't really a good indication when games like Crysis, Gears of War, and pretty much anything else that advertises DX10 support work with nearly identical graphics on DX9. I believe gears of war has Anti aliasing support, and thats it. Apparently it's shader just can't make AA work on DX9.

Crysis has a few features only available in DX10 that can be enabled in DX9, meaning some of their DX10 only stuff is just lies. Sure, theres an effect or two that seriously only works on DX10, but that doesn't change the fact they lied.

they are right... in a way , it is using DX9b but its not using DX9 full potential like as you said GEARS OF WAR looks just as good on xp im sure

I currently use Win XP for one very simple reason. It's the best for me. :p It can do everything I want it to do, it's far from perfect but overall it's the best one for me.

Never liked vista. Actually I just hate it. I see no reason to get it so I'll be sticking with win xp. I love linux but gaming is a bit challenging so I don't have it installed atm. But if I wasn't so crazy about games then I'd definitely be using linux.

I use both

Linux for WEP cracking and windows vista for music/gta sa online/poker/work

use linux for music aswell

dual boot ftw

both operating systems do diffrent things but i can asure you their just as good as each other because their both used for diffrent things, like linux is used for commands lines and windows for office users and others

I currently use Win XP for one very simple reason. It's the best for me. :p It can do everything I want it to do, it's far from perfect but overall it's the best one for me.

Never liked vista. Actually I just hate it. I see no reason to get it so I'll be sticking with win xp. I love linux but gaming is a bit challenging so I don't have it installed atm. But if I wasn't so crazy about games then I'd definitely be using linux.

Gaming was never a problem for me. I never buy PC games as I am more of a console gamer. Any PC game I play is free. I do play games like Urban Terror and Nexuiz and Tremulous.

Back
Top Bottom