linux is a waste of time

Code:
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Just go to Applications>Accessories>Terminal. Copy and paste that into the terminal, hit enter, type in your password (note that nothing will show up when you type your password in, but it is still there) hit enter and BAM! Flash!

I agree with you
its hard to use

Man, I've been using linux for almost two years now. It really is not that hard. It is like learning something. We all had to learn windows when we first got it.

Most of your programs can be installed through synaptic. All you do is search for your program. Mark the install and click apply. How easy can that be?

Want video card drivers? Go to Hardware Drivers and enable your wireless or graphics card drivers.

Linux is so much easier than Windows. The only thing holding a ton of people back is stuff like games, 3d modeling like CAD, and sound programs.

You can always install Windows inside a virtual machine and run apps like Photoshop.

So before you start crying about how hard linux is. Ask questions, give it some time and soon you will know how easy linux actually is.

I have to disagree with the people here that say that linux is hard to use. For the most part it is easy to use. You just need to remember a couple of things. First Linux is a new OS for you. That means that most everything is going to be different from what you are used to. Second, that with time everything will come to you, just like windows. I would recommend that you read a these two articles for starters. They are from the Ubuntu website and are specifically for people that are comming from Windows. Read the top one first, as it has a lot of good info.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/S...ows?action=show&redirect=SwitchingFromWindows

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Cheers!

The whole 'Linux is hard to use' argument should be replaced with 'I don't want to learn anything new' and thats all there is to it.

Using linux, for me, was a learning experience, not the headache inducing painful experience people make it out to be.

I used linux for one month, as a noob, and I rather enjoyed using it.

The whole 'Linux is hard to use' argument should be replaced with 'I don't want to learn anything new' and thats all there is to it.

Using linux, for me, was a learning experience, not the headache inducing painful experience people make it out to be.

I used linux for one month, as a noob, and I rather enjoyed using it.

Mike has it right. It's just something you have to learn. I used Windows all my life up until a couple years ago. After I learned linux, it is kinda hard for me to use Windows.

Multiple ways to install a Flash player, let me tell you.

First, you have to switch to root into the shell.
Just type:
su root
Then enter password.

Then, run the script, by typing:
sh flashplayer-installer

Next, another easier way t odo it: Package manager. Just search for Flash Player.

Another one is source compiling:
./configure
make
make install

If I were you, take #2.

I have to say though, right now, linux is really being a waste of time for me.

I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.04, and after the installation is complete, it wont boot. My installation is broken before I can even use it.

7.04 worked fine back in it's time, but 7.10 and now 8.04 are practically useless to me.

If your interested in the problem, it's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=791065
But I'm fairly tempted to reinstall XP right now, because it, you know, works just fine when I first install it.

I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.04, and after the installation is complete, it wont boot. My installation is broken before I can even use it.

7.04 worked fine back in it's time, but 7.10 and now 8.04 are practically useless to me.

I would recommend that you just install 7.10 and then do the update. It might take a little while, just to get all the updates but that way you won't have to do a clean install.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom