New Computer Blue Screen!!

sergio1

Beta member
Today, when i finished building my computer put in my old HDD and powered it up, I got a massage from windows asking me if i wanted tgo start in safe mode or normal monde, but whenever i chose one it just flashed a blue screen and rebooted i've tried evryting. It woks fine if a boot Backtrack Linux but it wont work when i try to boot linux. So why wont it work/ what can i do to fix it?

i can't lose the info on the HDD so reformatting is not an option.

I would of done a back-up to a partition because more than likely you will need to re-format the OS. What exactly did you change?

On any new build always plan a clean install of Windows. You are generally dealing with a large change of hardwares voiding the original hardware profile created when Windows was installed on the old build. Plus you have the clutter of the drivers for any hardwares no longer used on the new build.

If you had a spare drive lying around you could back things up there and clean up the intended OS drive. Until then you would simply perform a full install of Windows since that will simply delete the current Windows and DocumentsandSettings folders if you are running XP leaving the rest of the primary intact.

I wish i got a massage from windows every time i booted up. would be one of the only pluses for buying Vista.

The problem seen there is simply when taking a drive with a working copy of Windows out of the case it belongs in and trying to see Windows run on another system. While XP will see blue screens when loading the wrong drivers for a completely different board and hardwares Vista will flash a new one titled "you may have a counterfeit copy of Windows". That was seen when replacing the first board here that quit suddenly with the exact same make and model.

When going to build the current case I moved 3 out of 4 drives from the previous one. There I had the option of initially setting one up as a strictly storage drive while both versions of Windows saw clean install on brand new primaries. That's the ideal method to eliminate any clutter.

For simply getting Windows to run normally on a totally different system you can perform a full install to see the existing copy Windows replaces long enough to possibly shrink the current primary for backing up files on a second one. Once everything is safe on a second storage partition you can clumber the old primary to see a fresh new one with a clean install of everything.

All that would of course depend on the size of the drive itself and how much drive space is already being used. For an 80gb drive with 60gb of files on it there isn't much room to do anything.

I am I reading this incorrectly??

It woks fine if a boot Backtrack Linux but it wont work when i try to boot linux.

I don't see windows mentioned anywhere?

@OP, I know nothing about Linux but is it possible to boot via a boot disk e.g. BartPE or something to install your m/board drivers? (I'm pretty sure that will be the cause of your problem)

Failing that, slaving the drive in another pc, or putting it back in your old build, to recover the data and then formatting or buying a new drive, installing Linux, making your old drive slave and recovering your data may be other options to consider.

If you take a hard drive out of a working set up an put it in on a new build the chances of it working are slim to 0.

When you install Windows it will install certain files according to the Mobo, CPU, RAM, ETC, that you have in your system.

Re-install Windows on your new build and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom