Dual Boot

mitchell486

Solid State Member
I have a problem with my current set up. This is the list of my set up.

1. SATA Primary with Windows Vista Home Premium

2. IDE Primary with Ubuntu 8.04

I have no way to select which I want to boot to at the boot screen. I want to have about a 30 second delay to be able to choose which system I want to boot to. Is there a program to do this or is it in my BIOS? If there is a program on the internet please let me know. If it is in my BIOS set up please let me know. I have an ASUS mobo. Please ANYONE who can help. Thank you.

i think you will need to take off ubuntu for the moment (backup any files). I am not sure about the next bit so look for a dual boot xp with vista first tutorial, should be the same but instead of xp you are installing ubuntu

I think of what you are thinking is on ONE hard drive. I have them on separate drives. Thank you for trying though.

Thank you "A True Folder" I will look into that after work tonight. Thank you both for trying and if it helps I'll be sure to let you guys know. Thank you.

I have a problem with my current set up. This is the list of my set up.

1. SATA Primary with Windows Vista Home Premium

2. IDE Primary with Ubuntu 8.04

I have no way to select which I want to boot to at the boot screen. I want to have about a 30 second delay to be able to choose which system I want to boot to. Is there a program to do this or is it in my BIOS? If there is a program on the internet please let me know. If it is in my BIOS set up please let me know. I have an ASUS mobo. Please ANYONE who can help. Thank you.

ANTDEMO showed me this link...

http://howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty

It might help.

Hey. I got EasyBCD but I'm not familiar on how to make it recognize the second drive which is my IDE drive so that I may also boot from that. If anyone knows of a tutorial? Or maybe a helpful hand from you guys might help. :) Thank you for that much though! I appreciate it very much. :)

Lets get a little more info, please tell me which is correct.

Ubuntu was your primary os and you've added a new drive for Vista?

Another os was your primary os on your ide drive?

Another os was your primary os on your SATA drive?

The ide drive is recognised in the bios yes?

basically you need to rebuild what was your boot.ini but is now BCD with Vista

The tutorial that remeniz linked is a good starting place, from the quick glance I gave it there seems to be all the info for a clean install there.

These other two articles may probably be of more help.

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) LINK1

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Linux is already installed) LINK2

One would presume that instead of the partition shrinking etc you would just point it to the second drive.

Once you have both operating systems recognised then you can fine tune your boot order etc with EasyBCD

Hope that helps.

:D

Ok. I changed the order of primary hard drives in my bios. Not to boot order like I wanted between all the devices, CD ROM, Individual hard drives, Removable, ect. I just went to the options of my hard drives only, set my IDE to be more important than my SATA. Apparently I get a boot menu that way from Linux. And I wanted Vista to be my primary hard drive and primary OS so that if I don't select one it will automatically boot to Vista. That's why I wanted to set it up through Vista. BUT since I have a menu to choose which I want to boot to, I'll just have it that way for NOW but I would like to learn how to use EasyBCD still. No one seems to understand that all of those dual boot things are NOT what I want. They all point to having one hard drive and when I have two my setup is completely different than those are showing. Also since I already installed Ubuntu on my other hard drive, I don't need to know how to install it. I have that done already. I just want my IDE to be recognized by my boot screen so that I can either choose Vista, or Ubuntu. Doesn't seem that hard. But apparently I can't explain that to the whole internet... NO one seems to get what I'm saying. If I miss something on what I'm explaining... Please let me know...

I understand what your trying to do with regard to boot priority on the os selection screen, that's the easiest bit as EasyBCD can set that order and also the timeout before booting into the default os, but before we can do any of that both os's need to be recognised by the BCD (Boot Configuration Device) which is what the old (XP?) boot.ini is changed to when Vista is installed.

In order to get your Ubuntu install to have an entry in the BCD you may be required to reinstall it as the original boot.ini will have been wiped by the Vista installing BCD

I'm not sure if EasyBCD runs under Linux, you'd have to check the website, if it does and you can boot to Ubuntu then you "may" be able to alter your boot options, I'm not sure about EasyBCD and Linux though as I've never used Linux and haven't used EasyBCD since I stopped beta testing Vista back in 07.

The readme in EasyBCD is pretty self explanatory, I don't recall any great difficulty getting it to work, have you read it?

Back
Top Bottom