Should I Raid - 0 my two 150gig WD Raptor HDDS?

http://www.motherboardpro.com/images/P/msip35.jpg

yes, theirs four purples and one blue, so connect in the 5th and 6th slot.

Check to see if the mobo is detecting both the hdds in the bios. Then insert the OS, and go to the advance area where it asked to install other drivers or something. Hit F6 on that screen, then just follow the screens after that.

Is that it?

http://www.motherboardpro.com/images/P/msip35.jpg

yes, theirs four purples and one blue, so connect in the 5th and 6th slot.

Check to see if the mobo is detecting both the hdds in the bios. Then insert the OS, and go to the advance area where it asked to install other drivers or something. Hit F6 on that screen, then just follow the screens after that.

Is that it?

Connect HD's to the 5th & 6th slot. You might be able to use ports 3 & 4. Start your pc and pop the OS CD in. It should say press any key to boot from CD....

I'm assuming the install is similar to XP PRO. When the blue screen appears look out for an option to install the RAID software by pressing F6. It will ask you to insert the floppy disk with the driver software that you copied to it. Follow instructions and that's it.

;)

I don't have to setup anything in the BIOS?

I just read somewhere saying that its not a good idea to have your OS on the raid.

I don't have to setup anything in the BIOS?

I just read somewhere saying that its not a good idea to have your OS on the raid.

The only reason for this, I reckon, is that the OS software is not protected should anything happen to one of the HD's. This only applies to a RAID 0 array.

There's no risks if you know what your doing.

The speed increase can be about 30%-40%. And this kind of array is ideal for Sound/Video editing due to the increased read/write times to the HD's.

It's also handy to store certain applications and save positions for on-line games. Anything on a RAID 0 array will save/load quicker.

I have a few apps on my RAID 0 array but I also have the CD's should I loose the data.

My RAID 1 array contains all my downloads, Music tracks, CoolEditPro & REASON 3 projects, and generally anything that I want to protect should a drive fail in that array. Should this happen i'd just remove the dud drive, replace with a new one of the same size and rebuild the RAID 1 (Mirror array) with all my data intact.

so you have 3 or 4 hdds?

2 are raid 0 and the other 2/1 is raid 1?

can you make it so that your raid 0 info is backed up on your raid 1?

so you have 3 or 4 hdds?

Yep.

2 are raid 0 and the other 2/1 is raid 1?

2 in RAID 0 & 2 in RAID 1

can you make it so that your raid 0 info is backed up on your raid 1?

Well now your kinda talking about RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0. With these arrays you need 4 HD's with the data striped across one pair of HD's but this striped array is then mirrored on the second pair of HD's.

PHEW:D

Back
Top Bottom