Should I Raid - 0 my two 150gig WD Raptor HDDS?

RAID 0 or a striped array will give you faster read/write times. But if one drive fails then you loose all the data on both drives.

If you need the extra access speed to the array then RAID 0 the 2 drives.

:)

How often do HDD's fail? I have never had one of mine blow.

Also, my motherboard didn't come with a Raid floppy. And in the manual it didn't say anything about one.

Do newer mobo's not require the floppy?

How often do HDD's fail? I have never had one of mine blow.

HD's last quite a long time. Compared to RAID 1 though RAID 0 doesn't offer any kind of security to the information you store on the array. So if one drive fails you'll have to install the whole lot again and you will loose any infomation you saved to this array. To get round this I have a RAID 1 array, for all my downloads and data I want to protect, so if on drive fails in my RAID 1 array, Mirror Array, then I know the data is stored on the other drive in my array. And I have a RAID 0 for some of my apps and quick data editing for the access times.

RAID 0 Pros: Quick access times. Cons: No data protection.
RAID 1 Pros: Data protection. Cons: A little slower access times.

Also, my motherboard didn't come with a Raid floppy. And in the manual it didn't say anything about one.

No motherboard comes with a floppy. If you want to install the OS on this array then you should have the RAID software on the Driver CD that came with the Mobo. You will need to copy this to the floppy and install this Driver with F6 during the installation of your OS.

Do newer mobo's not require the floppy?

You don't need the Floppy if your not installing the OS on a RAID 0 array.

hrmm, this sucks. I do not have a floppy drive... Guess I have to pick one up for cheap.

I was looking at my install disk and I don't see the driver that the manual says on my disk. And when I download it on my computer, it says my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

The program is intel matrix storage console and I have windows Vista home premium.

From my manual it was saying I just needed the above program

Mmmmm.

I've only RAID'd on Windows XP Pro. And 'some' have said that installing Vista on a RAID array might not require the Driver Software copied to Floppy for an install.

See.. I have two RAID controllers on my mobo and both can be accessed via the BIOS so I can set up the array there and have never had to install the RAID software during an install.

Look closely at the CD that came with the Mobo and have a look at the instruction manual on how to set up the RAID array for an OS install.

I tried to download the manual but the Gigabyte site is kinda not responding at the moment.

I have an MSI P35 neo-2

:eek:

Ok. I've just had a look at the manual and it's very straight forward.

Please follow the instruction below to make an “Intel® RAID Driver” for
yourself.
1. Insert the MSI CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Click the “Browse CD” on the Setup screen.
3. Copy all the contents in \\IDE\Intel\ICH9R\Floppy to a formatted floppy
diskette.
4. The driver diskette for Intel® ICH9R RAID Controller is done.

When you install the OS wait until it asks you if you want to install a 3rd party RAID controller, Press F6, and follow the instructions.

Thanks Remeniz,

So once I have that, I hook up the two HDDs just like if I had one, turn on the comp (they are going to be fresh HDDs with no OS) go into the bios and hit f6?

not to sure of the steps.

Not quite :)

Sort the floppy disk out first. Once you have that you can then sort the system out.

I'm assuming that you have the manual for the Mobo.

Connect the Hard Drives to the mobo. I'm guessing you have 4 purple & one blue SATA connections. Looking at the instructions I think you would use the SATA 5 & SATA 6 connections to utilise the Intel RAID controller. You should see the connected Drives in the BIOS during POST.

Install the OS as you normally would but sit at the screen and look at the bottom of the screen. When it says 'Install 3rd Party RAID controller' or some thing similar press F6 and follow the instructions. This is when you will need the Floppy.

Once you've installed the Driver your sorted.

You should be able to download everything for your Mobo here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1#

Back
Top Bottom