Netgear Wireless

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Ok, So I just bought a linksys wireless card for a guy, and it works great at school. He brings it home (I'm at his house right now) and the card wont detect the Netgear router he has. yes, it is wireless.. What's the problem? I'm currently changing both of their workgroups and all that good stuff to put them on the same network.. Is that all?

I Also have a Linksys Wireless Access Point. With no success connecting the Netgear router to the linksys card, I have hooked that up to the Netgear router with a straight through cable. It looks like it's starting to work.

Success. It looks like a netgear router cannot talk to a Linksys card.

Ok, now he wants a network to share the printers. One's on vista though, will it work?

I have them both in the same workgroup, At some houses it was as easy as that. How do I do it on these? Seems like it's not working. And the "Set up a network" is not working either.

Alright, I lied. On the vista desktop I had to click make a network through the access point. Now it says "Configure the device manually"

I need the SSID (network name) and the security type, or passphrase. What is this?

Oh, the printer Driver. Usually it installs it once it detects it over the network. I can see the printer on the laptop, but it says "Printer Offline"

I will install the drivers just incase though..

install a driver for the printer + the wireless card.

Driver is installed for wireless, he said it works at school.

Does he have the router set to not broadcast it's SSID (network name)? That would be the first thing I'd look at now.

Driver is installed for wireless, he said it works at school.

Does he have the router set to not broadcast it's SSID (network name)? That would be the first thing I'd look at now.

ok - well i'm out of ideas...

Alright, yes. I have the wireless at the house working. As I stated above, I hooked up a linksys access point.

I just want to network the two computers, but it's not working. I just want to share the printers. Usually all I do is run the wizard then add them to the same workgroup. That's not the case here, for it's not working.

Edit

See, this is what I thought. You don't have to go through the network set-up wizard.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

hmm

shared the printer and make sure file sharing is enabled on both computers....

then go into printers and install it from there.

Back
Top Bottom