SP3 for XP

Celticsfan

Banned
Is it best to d/l this now or wait until tomorrow and use auto updates? If I use auto updates tomorrow when every one else is it might take forever. What do you all recommend doing? Have any of you d/l'd it already? If so, any issues?

Thanks

SP3 for XP is still in the Release Candidate 2 form at the present time. You won't see it at the update site for some time yet whne the final version is out.

Is it best to d/l this now or wait until tomorrow and use auto updates? If I use auto updates tomorrow when every one else is it might take forever. What do you all recommend doing? Have any of you d/l'd it already? If so, any issues?

Thanks
Been running it on five pc's since Thursday, it's fine, get in now before the rush, Major Geeks d/load is the final release v5512

EDIT: reported issues with v5512 that I've read about, Ull Theme or something (theme pack for windows XP) has a problem that requires a new file which is available from the theme pack site (if you run this theme pack you'll know what i'm blathering on about :))

SP3 for XP is still in the Release Candidate 2 form at the present time. You won't see it at the update site for some time yet whne the final version is out.
Incorrect, see above.

Couple of screenies from my work pc

sp32rw5.jpg

sp3ys3.jpg

Incorrect, see above.

Couple of screenies from my work pc

sp32rw5.jpg

sp3ys3.jpg

Don't you know corpoarations will see a finished service pack before it is released to the general public. The overview is now seen with two small text files you can download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en#filelist

Can I get Windows XP SP3 today? Depends on who you are. Microsoft said that it is shipping the code to computer makers and making it available to volume licensing customers.

"SP3 has released to manufacturing," said Chris Keroack, XP SP3's release manager, in a message posted on a TechNet support forum. "Windows XP SP3 bits are now working their way through our manufacturing channels to be available to OEM and Enterprise customers."
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9079418

Can I get Windows XP SP3 today?
Of course you can here is a d/load link for you

LINK

the Computer World article said:
So, when do I get SP3? Microsoft said it would put SP3 on Windows Update (WU) on April 29. Starting then, you'll be able to update by calling up WU, then selecting the download.

Mate, I d/loaded and applied this last thursday, nothing to do with corporations or microsoft d/load or official release, it was leaked on Major Geeks.

it's still there if you want to d/load it.

Microsoft probably leaked it themselves anyway to remove the certain load on their servers tomorrow (29th in the US, 30th for us) when they release it to the d/load centre

That wasn't my question you quoted there but the one seen in the 4/21/08 article. :p I'll have to run the service pack the next time I boot into XP since Vista is the default version lately.

The only information seen lately however was on the RC2 release and suddenly they let it out that it was ready. But you have to go to a 3rd party site for the actual link for downloading it separately.

a few questions....

how big it is???
Link to windows website???
worth getting???

and does it mean i have to reinstall "everything" like a fresh install and how do i go about installing it...

It wouldnt be much different then SP2 or any updates except in size. While SP2 in the redistributed form was 266mb the new one is 316mb in size.

What this does is simply roll up all updates over a period of time along with some new items to enable some functions. You'll probably see what those are once you see the SP3 required at some point when installing a new program.

a few questions....

how big it is???
Link to windows website???
worth getting???

and does it mean i have to reinstall "everything" like a fresh install and how do i go about installing it...

316MB

Microsoft Update (Alternate site: Major Geeks)

I think it is definitely worth getting, Windows seems slightly faster and smoother.

No, you don't have to reinstall anything except maybe that ULtheme thing I mentioned.

To install it just double click the file (it is self extracting) and follow the prompts.

Back
Top Bottom