My Computer Build : Parts List

It depends. I have ddr2-800, so if I want to run higher than 400 fsb and have the ram at 1:1, then overclocking is in order. Some people simply buy higher speed ram so they don't have to oc.

why do you overclock ram? i see people that do do it everytime they overclock their cpu
Everytime you increase the FSB speed to overclock your CPU, your RAM speed increase as well, so your RAM has to be capable of those speeds.

why do you overclock ram? i see people that do do it everytime they overclock their cpu

when you raise the fsb to oc the cpu the ram automatically overclocks too.
You can change the ratio too but to get the ram back to the default speed you need to raise the fsb by a certain amount. I'm pretty sure that for me (e2160) the 800mhz ram spots are when the cpu is at 1.8ghz, 2.4 ghz and 3ghz. Probably 3.6ghz too. :)

So right now my cpu is sitting at 2.55ghz (will oc more when I feel like it. :p) the ram is at 425mhz (850mhz effective) since if I lower the ratio then the ram becomes something like 700mhz and I'd much rather have 850mhz than 700mhz. :D

RAM speeds do not affect performance much on an Intel platform because of the limitations of the FSB and the north bridges memory controller. So you will get the same performance with 700MHz as with 850MHz. You'd probably be better off with lower speeds and tighter timings in fact.

yeah your gonna bottleneck with 667MHz of RAM 800 is like standard. your mobo supports up to 1066MHz so id go with some G.Skill 1066MHz RAM. then everything else would be good to go

RAM speeds do not affect performance much on an Intel platform because of the limitations of the FSB and the north bridges memory controller. So you will get the same performance with 700MHz as with 850MHz. You'd probably be better off with lower speeds and tighter timings in fact.

and a 1:1 ratio.

Back
Top Bottom