Digital Audio Workstation/Noise Control/Heat Issue

coffeecupfever

Beta member
I am a musician and I am currently setting my computer up (again) for recording as I am buying new gear. So it is more important now that my computer run quiet but I am also on a budget.

I'm Using:
ASUS PFLD2-BM MOBO
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor
4 GB Kingston 667Mhz DDR2
On-Board Video
Running Analog Mixer to Firewire.

To cut down on noise I am going to be using sound dampening foam to line my case and open areas (excluding vents)

I also purchased two fan speed controllers in order to control the CPU and Back fan.
I will only be running the computer roughly 8-10 hours at a time per recording session and during mastering stages.

My Question is this: Should I Be Worried About Any heat Issues? Associated with using the dampening foam to take up space, and turning the fan speeds down?

Also: If anyone does have experience with a DAW and know some great tricks for sound control. let me know. Thanks

ok well your best bet would be to take some temps using speedfan or something or in bios and then start adding sound insulation then check temps then start slowing fans then take temps.

basicly jus take it a small step at a time,

You shouldn't have any heat issues although watch your temperatures with a small app. You could also use a bigger CPU heat sink with a quieter fan. You don't really want to have to adjust the CPU fan speed all the time. Being an ASUS board the fan speed might automatically adjust itself according to CPU load.

I use CoolEdit Pro...

cool.jpg

I'm still getting used to it and the multitrack side of it but from what I see it's a pretty decent application.

Thanks for the tips. When I get some bucks I may just get a very good cpu heatsink.

I'm Using Adobe Audition 3. (originally cool edit)
I'm not sure how it ranks up against something like Cubase or Sonar. But it works well for me.

Thanks for the tips. When I get some bucks I may just get a very good cpu heatsink.

I'm Using Adobe Audition 3. (originally cool edit)
I'm not sure how it ranks up against something like Cubase or Sonar. But it works well for me.

My mate has Cubase. But to be honest we already have the multitrack editor and wave editor together with a whole load of effects and editing functions. It's just as good with a different GUI.

true, a silent case/fan/psu set woldn't go amis...
but in all honesty you might do better to just put the box in a different room and use a monitor extension cable and either PS2 or USB extension cables to amek and the plugs reach...

et voilla make the PC as noisy as you like cause your recording room will be silent!.

if you are not worried about a tiny bit of sound, not silent but a bit, then get this case : http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=584956

It will keep everything cool and be near silen at the same time!

Mmmm. I think personally an oversize HSF will satisfy you together with slow intake & exhaust fans. And to some that choice of case might not suit.

And if you have to use very long audio leads then use a decent Powered Balanced set-up.

I can record in one room with, all my mics in other rooms. I'm just trying to make it a little bit quieter, because certain mics tend to be very sensitive especially to higher pitched sounds such as a fans, even through walls. I'm basically taking precautions for when my new gear arrives.

Generally you are safe with XLR cables up to 50' before any signal deterioration.

But firewire I have heard tends to deteriorate after much less? anybody know anything about that?

Back
Top Bottom