Anyone have recommendations for a laptop?

* 5.78lb, Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 (2.0GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
* 15.4" Widescreen (1280x800) + Webcam, 4GB, 250GB
* CD/DVD Burner, Fingerprint Reader, 6-cell battery
* 256MB Nvidia 8600M GT Video Card, 2 years warranty
Those specs for 841$ at Dell, not sure when the offer ends, but I do believe it fits your requirements very nicely.

The deal works if you get a 10% coupon from Dell, which you can request here http://eppcoupons.rjk.com/A10/
-edit- ah.. scratch that they're only offering the T8300 now, which makes it closer to 1000 dollars.

Hey, thanks guys! Well, I'm not using the laptop as my MAIN computer (I already have one set up). It's just something I need to write, and occasionally edit stuff with. Like I said, 2GB of RAM is good enough. I don't think I'd be doing any major stuff with it.

I appreciate the feedback guys. It's really helping out. I'm actually leaving for a week, so I won't be able to respond back until next weekend. But please, don't let it stop you from giving some info. Thanks a bunch!

Hey fellas! I'm back for the time being, and I just thought I'd share that my price range has been lifted to $1000 (tops). So I'm not too limited by my funding. I know that the extra $150 can make a difference in buying a laptop.

So, would anybody else care to make a recommendation that can fit in this price range and meets what I am looking for?

I'd suggest visiting dell.com, hp.com, and possibly sony.com and configuring your own laptop to see how it fits your price range.

Processor- Most will be able to handle your type of work, but I'd suggest getting one that is a bit stronger to make sure editing is a breeze.

RAM- at least 2GB.

Hard Drive- Many options out there...get one with the capacity you'll need/use. If speed is an issue (loading, opening progs/files, etc) opt for a 7200RPM hard drive instead of the normal 5400RPM ones.

Graphics- As you stated, you have no real need for a separate graphics card, so I guess an integrated one will do.

Go to hp.com and configure one of their laptops...they're dirt cheap nowadays, and its unbelievable because you get a lot of features for a truly low price. I just got another HP catalog and i'm shocked to see such a great price/performance ratio on some of their laptops.

You can definitely get one under $1000.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hey, thanks a bunch! I have a quick question:

So, I'm probably going to customize my own laptop. I would also appreciate some good wireless activity. There are several options when choosing Wireless Network Cards. What I would like to know is, which one would be the best choice? I mean, I am not relying on the wireless, but for certain occasions it would be handy. (Price is not an issue).

Hey, thanks a bunch! I have a quick question:

So, I'm probably going to customize my own laptop. I would also appreciate some good wireless activity. There are several options when choosing Wireless Network Cards. What I would like to know is, which one would be the best choice? I mean, I am not relying on the wireless, but for certain occasions it would be handy. (Price is not an issue).

There are many cards you could choose from, but it all depends on what you want. 01001010 stated 802.11 b/g/n cards, and that's a good recommendation. Most wireless networks today run on G, but newer, more advanced networks are using N, and its usage will increase with time. Just make sure you get one that is at LEAST 802.11G, and you should be fine. N is a great bonus.

Also, this shouldn't be a big issue, but some companies will give you an external card if you opt for the 802.11N cards. Make sure its an internal one, since it will be one less thing for you to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom