Customers suck.

Yeah, it's somewhat like that for me at work too. I guess I'll share with you guys since this is an appropriate thread.

So I work at this place called DACA Swim School and what we do is obvious. We teach children and adults alike the basics of swimming and if necessary the introduction to competitive swimming. Our teaching progresses by ribbon levels and each level has it's own skill set. So Novice is for kids who have never been in the water without their parents, Pink are kids who have been in the water without their parents once etc.

One of my colleagues is teaching his kids while I'm teaching my own class another lane away. His class is all Reds so they learn Diving-for-Rings (surface diving), Dives, 5 Little Monkeys (treading water) and underwater swim for about 1/3-1/2 of the pool length (this is a 20y pool). He's teaching his kids to surface dive and the first thing he asks is if they need help (to gently hold their heads and push downwards as they go down to the bottom to grab rings). So some of them say yes and he helps them.

This is where it starts. He helps one of the boys go downwards to retrieve some rings. Immediately the father who was sitting nearby sees him and completely loses it. It scared the bejesus out of me and everyone nearby cause no one saw it coming. He starts yelling at my co-worker and why he's trying to "drown his child" and this and that. My friend surprisingly keeps his cool and tells the father that he doesn't have the time to talk and his main responsibility is to teach the class (which is true...we're not allowed to talk to parents during lessons). The father just rudely tells him that he doesn't care about his goddamn job keeps heckling him about why he was trying to harm his son. In the next lane (I'm in the next one) my other friend/co-worker backs up the first co-worker by telling the father that's how they help the kids when they need assistance for surface diving. The dad doesn't take any of this and is still fuming so the deck supervisor comes over and asks what the problem is and calmly explains to the father how they teach surface diving and how they help the kids do it. The father still is being an asshole so the manager has to come out and talk to him and she talks to him for like 15 minutes about all the stuff the deck supervisor talked about.

You know what the worst part was? After he heckled my friend about the whole thing (before the deck supervisor comes over), he sits down and he starts talking to all the nearby parents and how my friend was "trying to drown his son" and that "he'll try to drown your kids too". :rolleyes: I swear...sometimes the parents are worse than the kids. One of the parents even quickly told my friend after class not to worry about it and that even she thought the dad was overreacting. The great news is that the father withdrew the son and we'll never see them again. Some customers are just bad for business.

What irks me the most about my job is that a lot of parents don't understand swimming. They don't understand that you can't just learn the sport overnight and that you can't fix technique issues with one 30 minute lesson every week. It takes repetition, practice and discipline and with kids; patience. A lot of parents just don't understand that...

Oh and I was reading this a while ago. The top 5 reasons why "The Customer is Always Right" is wrong. :) Enjoy.

http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/why-the-customer-is-always-right-results-in-bad-customer-service/

cingular wants to hire me when i get my diploma in the end of may.... (they liked how i type 80wpm, really 100 but with a couple mistakes) now im kinda starting to second guess that! i dunno if i really wanna deal with a buncha pissed off customers haha

Yeah, working as customer service/relations at a communications/telecommunications company is a tough job. You have to have the patience and tolerance for dishonest and rude customers.

I agree 100%. I work at a Warranty company, and you wouldnt believe some of the phone calls i get. You would just think people would be smart enough by now to not buy them. I mean come on people read the fine print.

I work fast food and there's plenty of people that use the "customer is always right" thing to their advantage. I heard about some high schoolers who complained about their food and got some extra chicken strips because of it, then they still called and complained to corporate even after we gave them extra food...

I haven't had to deal with customers much lately since I've worked more in the back with little to no customer contact. But here's a few stories I've heard or dealt with.

Guy comes through drive thru and wants a refill on his drink... You obviously can't do that... He didn't get mad, he just left.

Someone came in with their family and one of the kids asked for a side of onions. I went and got some. I was cleaning the lobby and they asked for more. They did it at least 5 times, I don't even think we are supposed to give that many sides of onions... They came again a couple months later and asked for onions again...

One guy came up with his burger and complained it was wrong and that this is the 3rd time he has come there and it was wrong...well than don't come here anymore...we don't care...

That sounds like a...... fun day? :confused: :eek:

LMAO....

Wow, story 1 was pretty screwed up... But #2 took the cake. Shit... Took the whole damn bakery.

Thats such a bad ass line for the manager to drop, I would have cracked a huge grin right then and there :D

You guys are so messed up. What is wrong with you guys, corrupting her files like that ;)

You outta be ashamed of yourselves :D

QFT

No, because you can't handle the job if you come and moan about it.

Thats why, if you can;t handle the job don't be in it.

Back
Top Bottom