Customers suck.

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Now that I've had some time to relax, and a shower I'm calm enough to actually share my day at work. Now for those too new to know, or just don't remember, I work as a service tech at a local computer store thus have to deal with many angry people. While today was no exception, we did have more angry people than normal (mostly due to situations beyond our control) and two just stick out enough to share.

To understand the first customer you need to know a few things. My place of work is also an ISP. We sell DSL and dial-up. Our DSL is kinda tricky as it's run through AT&T (don't ask how cuz IDK. CGFreak might as he works in our DSL dept.). Now at least in my area of Wisconsin AT&T has done a bunch of line-upgrades as well as some other mantinence (sp?) things which has made a lot of conflicts with our customer's modems.

That is where story one begins. Our phone rang and I picked it up. It was a customer having DSL problems (like a lot of other people due to what I mentioned above). I told him he would have to call our DSL tech support number since I cannot just transfer the call (even though they are in the same store). This is where he blows up. "No! I will not call those lazy @$$es! I've been trying to call all of last night and today and it's always busy! Tell them to get their god D@^% phones back on-the-hook so calls can go through!"

Now I'm trying to be polite so I tell him that they are simply busy because of AT&T's recent changes. I also inform him that I can see the techs from where I was (which was no lie) and both were on phone calls. Of course that's where I become a "Mother eff'ing liar". And he demands to hear me tell them to put their phones back on the hook. I tell him I cannot do that and if he's unwilling to keep trying the hotline he will need to bring in his DSL modem to our store. At that, I hear a promt "F$#* you" followed by the line disconnecting.

This next one, I was not the tech who first started helping the customer, I just jumped in to try and save my co-worker and help prevent WW3.

Again, A little history will help you understand a things better here. Customer had just bought a new computer from us and paid to have their pictures and quick list (ebay program) put onto their new computer.

The computer was picked up yesterday (friday) and customer brought it back because the new install of quick list was not importing correctly and giving come kind of corruption message. Customer also claimed that we did not backup all files for that program. Customer had brought the old computer with them so we were able to turn that on and show them that we did in fact get every file they needed. However, we apparently did something to corrupt the data and now we owed her money. Yeah, right.

After thirty minutes, my co-worker got everything imported, but now when ever he accessed the data it would give errors, that's when I joined him. After dinking around on google, we found a link on ebay's forums. What we were going through is a known issue since late February. What happens is the original install is what truly corrupts. As you save and modify data with that, it too becomes corrupt. When you try to use it on a new install of the program, it is unusable. We print out the thread, and show it to the woman and she flips and just starts cussing.

At this point a manager gets involved. We go over the issue, show him the error message, and the thread on ebay's forums. He tries explaining it to the lady in more general terms. Still she goes on saying we should have known that there was a known issue with this BEFORE we backed it up for her. This is where I wanted to kiss the manager. He looks at her strait in the eyes and says "We are human, and do not know everything. How can you expect us to know every known issue, with every program ever created, and know that your old computer happened to be one of those with the issue?"

At this point I get called away so I don't know the rest of the conversation, but I do know that she does not believe it was the fault of the program, and she did not get the refund for the data backup.

I should mention though, the 9 gigs of pictures we backed up worked just fine, so we apparently selectively corrupt files. :rolleyes:

could have save plenty of hassle with the first customer by taking his phone number and getting the DSL dept to call him back.

Wow, that sounds like fun, lol. At least it adds some excitement to the day...

Do you work at Milwaukee PC by any chance?

could have save plenty of hassle with the first customer by taking his phone number and getting the DSL dept to call him back.

Eh, probably. Usually I offer, but with how he reacted I wasn't going to offer to help him. It had already been a hard day and I wasn't going to go out of my way to help him.

Wow, that sounds like fun, lol. At least it adds some excitement to the day...

Do you work at Milwaukee PC by any chance?

Umm... maybe? Why do you guess?

LMAO....

Wow, story 1 was pretty screwed up... But #2 took the cake. ... Took the whole damn bakery.

Thats such a ,,, line for the manager to drop, I would have cracked a huge grin right then and there :D

You guys are so messed up. What is wrong with you guys, corrupting her files like that ;)

You outta be ashamed of yourselves :D

Eh, probably. Usually I offer, but with how he reacted I wasn't going to offer to help him. It had already been a hard day and I wasn't going to go out of my way to help him.

Umm... maybe? Why do you guess?
Cause, I watch you...

lol, jp, I live near you sorta, and I've been to the Milwaukee PC in Janesville, and they offer DSL through AT&T, so thats why I guessed that.

Cause, I watch you...

lol, jp, I live near you sorta, and I've been to the Milwaukee PC in Janesville, and they offer DSL through AT&T, so thats why I guessed that.

Haha that works. What really sucks is AT&T jacked our prices too, so that 9.95/mo intro rate which used to be the first year, is now the first three months @ 9.95, and after that instead of 19.95 its 24.99/mo.

I don't think I could ever work in customer support. I have such a short fuse for people's shit.

Back
Top Bottom