why does internet have to cost so much??

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
okay well were paying like 71 bucks a month for 5meg cable.... we have to cancel it now and theres no other internet provider around here.... alls there is is wireless internet(usless and needa sign for 2yrs) and dial up(more usless that wireless lol) ughh why do the dsl people have to be so gay and not give me internet service in my area???? i dont get how dsl works anyways all's i know is my friend has it and just plugs into a phone line with the modem and wala... can i get a basic explanation on how dsl works (technically)(sry cant spell to tired)

from what i know you plug the router/modem into the phone line, set up your username, password, etc, then you are ready to go. the phone line goes to your local telephone exchange and depending how far you live away determines the speed you can get

yer we have one at work, their good enough for browsing the web but not so good on games and downloading at good speeds, anyway thats harsh but it happens, why not just sign up for a usb dongle? like vodafone dongle, 15pound a month, internet anywhere, their probs just as good as asdl

I wouldn't think DSL would be to much cheaper. You need a phone line for DSL so thats $25 for a basic phone line a month and then you have your service. I think the best in my area for DSL where its available is 3MB/768KB and its $27.99 a month on a 1 year contract or $37.99 a month off contract. So between the 2 you end up with either $52.99 on contract excluding tax or $62.99 with no contract excluding taxes.

So you can see your pretty much in the same ball park.

To be blunt I'd gladly pay $100 a month for half your current service plan.

Comcast down the road charges $59.99 for 8MB/6MB with cable or $69.99 for the same package without cable also excluding taxes.

Don't they offer you a cheaper package?

lol well i live in central california, and we already have a phone line from the company, so we've always paid for that, but the company is like 8 miles away in the next town over. lol they have the 3meg but its only for customers of there cable, while the cable costs alot...... its like 30 a month for the cable and then 40 for the 3meg internet! one of the most expensive places ive seen haha

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;788631 said:
I wouldn't think DSL would be to much cheaper. You need a phone line for DSL so thats $25 for a basic phone line a month and then you have your service.

You only need the wires that the phone service uses, you don't need to be able to make calls. So unless you pay $25/month for having the wire there then there is no need to pay that $25 to have dsl working.

If your phone provider already offers DSL internet then you just activate it from them cause it runs through your phone line.

If your phone provider already offers DSL internet then you just activate it from them cause it runs through your phone line.

yeah they offer it just really really sucks lol... mabie i should tell my sister to get it and try a router? she lives like 50 feet from my house(across the street over one) haha and just run off there network???

Back
Top Bottom