What limits my car audio? Speakers, or sterio unit?

superman22x

Golden Master
I'm guessing its the speakers, but just thought I'd make sure. When I turn them up more, they start to get fuzzy. I have an aftermarker CD player head unit, but no amps or anything. The speakers are just the stock 6"x8" premium speakers, and some slightly nicer ones in the back. I have no sub either. What would you recommend for some cheaper but decent speakers for my truck? Its a regular cab so no room for sub...

It doesnt have to be super loud, just want good qaulity when I turn it up a bit ya know.

its the deck, you needa push them with a 4 channel amp the speakers could use a little upgrade also though

its the deck, you needa push them with a 4 channel amp the speakers could use a little upgrade also though

I'm going to disagree with you there. He has factory paper crap speakers. Putting an amp on those will likely blow them.

I would get a nice set of speakers first. Chances are that your stereo puts out too much power and the factory speakers can not handle it (especially in lower frequencies). What kind of deck do you have, after you get nicer speakers and you still have some problems, then it may be time for a 4 channel amplifier or even a small subwoofer w/ amp to take care of the bass and let the other speakers handle mid to higher range.

Yeah I'll say speakers too. I'm a fan of Alpine. Good bang for the buck for a high-midrange.

I think he said he does'nt want a AMP he just wants good quality sound, well, from stock speakers bascally if you hear fuzz, you might want to turn it down, after a while your speakers will go bust as it can't handle the vibration so it hits the inner of the tube sending it wild and it will just sound horrible once its broke so you want a nice set os speakers, well, to be honest theirs alot, head down to halfords and im sure they will help you because I can't give much detial as Im not infront of the car, id have to look at all the speakers and wireing, but halfords do that for you.

your looking at about 50-70pound for some decent speakers that will bring good sound output

IMO car speakers are always the big issue,

what you need definately is a sub to handle the bass and then forget 6X9 or 8's in your case you need a few 5.25" or 6.5's to kick out the mids then the stock tweeters should be fine.

if you ask me car speakers jus cant push bass out at all, and the 3 way 6X9's is the worse thing you can do.

I'm going to disagree with you there. He has factory paper crap speakers. Putting an amp on those will likely blow them.

I would get a nice set of speakers first. Chances are that your stereo puts out too much power and the factory speakers can not handle it (especially in lower frequencies). What kind of deck do you have, after you get nicer speakers and you still have some problems, then it may be time for a 4 channel amplifier or even a small subwoofer w/ amp to take care of the bass and let the other speakers handle mid to higher range.

ive been working with car audio for a while now, and the biggest problem when it comes to this stuff is that the deck cant push the speakers, ive hooked up 4channel amps in cars with stock speakers and it sounded cleaner and louder, if there making a fuzzy noise then there not poping, therefore there probaly not going to blow. i say 4 channel amp still =\

Wow, you've impressed me with your knowledge. I've worked with it for awhile to, considering I used to be an installer. A decent sent of speakers will go a long way to a good sounding system. Whats the point of installing a nice deck, a nice amp, and have crap quality speakers?? Sound quality will be crap.
The problem he is likely having is the deck is putting out too much power and the speakers can't handle it. Get a nice set of speakers and see where you stand, much less install work putting in a new set than installing and amp and having to replace the speaker too.
I'm not saying a good amp will not benifit an audio system, but putting a nice amp on shitty speakers is still going to sound shitty.

Also, OP, what deck do you have, if you bought a cheap deck that could be the problem also.

well, decks volume can only go up so high, then it starts clipping, thats called the decks limit point. if thats not loud enough for you then its time for a new amp, there "premium" speakers so they should work just fine with a 200watt 4 channel amp.... and stock speakers can handle that...

Well, I dont exactly know whatexact model it is... Its a Pioneer, about 2 years old I would say. I dont know if its bottom of the line or what... It plays WMA and MP3 CDs, but thats all it does fancy...
I have 4 6x8 speakers, and I dont know if I could fit an amp or a sub in my truck.

Back
Top Bottom