Is Someone Spying on Me?

Ok, I try the run msconfig trick to see what running on start up.
The name of the software the runs the video is "PowerDVD." Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Regarding running the msconfig, is this done in DOS or do you just type in msconfig in the "run" field?

I think you have some paranoia problems...

I don't think the techs would really bother with monitoring DVDs. I think they're probably more worried about emails and internet activity if they're monitoring at all. Removing software without permission could get you in trouble or even fired depending on where you work. In all likelihood you've got nothing to worry about if you're not watching any inappropriate movies or anything.

There is no way I can re-format the computer. That is not an option. I cannot add any programs or delete any programs. Please advise on how to scan for any spy programs or programs that will track my activity. Also, I've heard there is a program that will take a picture of whatever I watch on my DVD player and send it by e-mail every time I plug my laptop into the the company net. And by the way, we have to connect our laptops into the net periodically so as to receive "security patches." I think in doing this, they download stuff from our computers to tell them what we have been up to.

So how can I solve this thing. Come on people...think!

Just drop it and break it if your that paranoid.

If your not gonna uninstall anything or something of the sort, forget about it. If you find a spying program what are you going to do?

Easy trick to find out if they really are monitoring, plug it into network and carry on. If they catch you they are monitoring.

Basically that was all sarcasm on paranoia. I really think you are fine. What you are doing is not illeagal.

I have not read everything but i must say thats shit hot plan lol, anyway i'd love my input to be my past, anyhow, i would try doing this:

Along time ago I installed something for my harddrive to get all the past data, well its bascially harddrive recovery, it scans all the harddrive and bascially tells you whats on it.

Will take an awful long time if its been used for atleast a year, if its new it will scan but still take ages but not aslong, a few hours.

goodluck

I don't intend to modify the computer. As with most many work computers, you can't do hardly anything without administrative permission.

Let's put it this way: what software is available that would allow management to download or upload a record of all the DVDs an employee has watched (and when) when the employee plugs into the network?

I'm not sure if any of that type of software even exists. I'm sure employers have better things to do than sit and record what movies you're watching at work. If you were going to get in trouble for it, you probably would have seeing as it's been two months since you've started this thread.

Troy,

Well, for one thing, I've only plugged my laptop into the network once since I watched the movies.

And, the other thing is my organization moves very, very slowly. Things can come back to bite you after a year or 2.

And, yes, it would seem that they have better things to do but our Tech is telling us it's happening. That they've set up a control center and they are monitoring us. And, he specifically mentioned the very issue of which I am discussing.
And that is the watching of DVDs on the laptop.

Are you not aware of Tivoli?

Well you can't install programs, but does that mean you can't run any?

Aka: Install antispyware on a USB thumb drive, and run it from there.

Like many media players, there is probably an option in that program to clear the history of viewed files. Doing so will delete the log. I imagine that would circumvent any problem you might have.

Back
Top Bottom