Unreadable CD

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Long time no post. But i return again with a problem.

The computer in question is a Compaq Presario 5000 Series 5BW130 with a Intel Celeron 667 mhz, and 128 mb ram. Yes I know, very old.

Anyways heres the problem. I want to use the computer to burn the new 8.04 Ubuntu image onto a cd. However when I insert a disc into the drive, (any blank or audio disc), it will not read it. If i go to my computer and attempt to open the drive to explore the contents, i get an error message saying:

Annoying Error Message said:
D:/ is not accesible. The Device is not ready. Retry / Cancel

Originally I thought, hey, no big deal. Defunct CD drive or maybe a loose cable. The computer is ancient. Check out the cables, no problem. Before swapping in a new cd drive, I decided to pop in the restore cd into the drive for poops and giggles. And what do you know? Windows recognizes this disc in the drive. In fact it even lets me open it up through my computer and explore its contents. This seemed like good news, but it's not.

It's clearly not a bad cd drive if it recognizes the recovery disc but nothing else. What could possibly be causing this problem?

also depends what type of disc you are using. it has a burner on the cd drive right?

Back
Top Bottom