Water on keyboard..

firecat318

Solid State Member
A few weeks ago, I spilled maybe at most 10 drops of water on my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. After the water hit the keys, the laptop immediately shut off. I took out the battery and tried to let the water drain out. After about 24 hours, I tried to turn it back on, but nothing happened. I had it under warranty so I called, but they said accidents weren't covered. They said I had probably destroyed the motherboard, and that it would cost $700 to fix! I wasn't going to pay that much so I just left it sit for a while. Just today, I took the keyboard off and was looking around inside. Everything still looks good, so I wonder why the laptop won't power on. When the water was spilled, no smoke or strange smell came out from inside the laptop. If this helps anything, whenever I put the laptop on the charger, the blue LED at the plugin port is still on, indicating that the laptop is charging. I doubt it would be the motherboard, considering it was only such a minor spill. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do in order to help bring it back to life?

Water conducts electricity, and by dropping water on it, you created a circuit, essentially, and allowed electricity to travel, uncontrolled, on your motherboard. Basically- you short circuited your motherboard. Usually, the motherboard makes a small pop, or no sound when this happens, and nothing is physically visible on the board.

You fried it.

ok well i put a psu in the bath for 60seconds then i left it for a month and it worked.

yer im crazy but theirs a chance if you leave it atleast one month you might have it back on.

ok well i put a psu in the bath for 60seconds then i left it for a month and it worked.

yer im crazy but theirs a chance if you leave it atleast one month you might have it back on.

I'm assuming the PSU wasn't on?

Water itself doesn't destroy components, it's the short circuits it makes. That's why if you wash a gameboy game, for example, and let it dry, it will work.

However, if something is powered while it get's wet, it does short circuit...and thus, breaks.

lol, yeah.. I was thinking that too, "Was it generating electricty in some way?"

You can sometime find parts for certain lappys on Ebay. Look around and hope they have something you need for cheap.

Definatly don't throw it away :D Send it my way lol

put it in the oven on the lowest setting possible. lol sounds crazy but my dad dropped his phone in a bucket of water and he put it in our oven for a while on top a paper towel and it worked :D but wait for some one else to confirm this lol. so i dont get blamed for a cooked laptop

put it in the oven on the lowest setting possible. lol sounds crazy but my dad dropped his phone in a bucket of water and he put it in our oven for a while on top a paper towel and it worked :D but wait for some one else to confirm this lol. so i dont get blamed for a cooked laptop

This just dry's the electronic component quicker, and it isn't recommended because its an extreme amount of heat.

Yeah, all you need is a tiny bit of water to cause havoc with electronics, HP was not lyeing. 700 for a new mobo is a bit much though, shouldn't have told them it was water :)

Back
Top Bottom