file sharing

esa193

Fully Optimized
file sharing is a big topic in the music and media industry
what are your views on file sharing

i paid for it and for me only and its wrong to give it away for free

Also, music is not overpriced. 99 cents a song is completely fair.

its more then just music file sharing in general do u no its illgel to lend a friend a dvd?!?

Lending a DVD is fine, I mean that's like saying your friend watching one of your DVDs when he's at your house is illegal, or like, only you're allowed to watch a rental movie from the local Blockbuster.

i paid for it and for me only and its wrong to give it away for free

Also, music is not overpriced. 99 cents a song is completely fair.

Yeah it is. The only thing I don't like about buying music digitally like that is the lack of a material possession. It just feels so weird..

Anyway, I'm kind of in between, I know you shouldn't share things like that, but I do sometimes, to a friend or two. Though I never upload anything that I buy to any p2p networks.

If I can't find something on p2p I usually buy it.. I mean.. it's not like I have any right to complain about it.

its true tho you cant legally lend a dvd
oh and also you cant modify a dvd
so if you ripped a dvd on your computer
braking the law

Not if you're backing up a copy for your own personal use.

Correct. I'll be the first to admit I pay for Napster, Realplayer, etc etc for my music, and I don't have a problem with that AT ALL. What I do have a problem with is the people, Some of which I posted above attach DRM to their music so even though I purchased it, It's extremely hard to edit anything on the file. As far as I'm concerned once I buy it, It's mine, COMPLETELY. If I want to change the format, Move it to a computer, Burn as many different mixes with the song, Then I damn well better be able to do that as many times as I deem neccessary.

As for DVD's, That's another problem. They make it impossible to burn or copy the Disc unless you have "those" programs which overwrites all copywrites and restrictions. Again, If I buy a movie and want to make a copy of it because of the fact discs do go bad, I damn well better be able to..But we cant.

Then you have Games. In my eyes, Once I spend $50 Big ones on a game, I should be able to install that game on AS MANY computers I have in my household as well as NOT need the disc to play. If I have a household of 5 kids each with their own computer and they want to play COD4, I AM NOT going to go out and spend $250 on the game. Rather I was forced to purchase "that" software which allows me to do whatever I want.

It's really getting bad, But at the same time it's justified because theres soo many who download torrents, etc, etc, and don't pay for anything.

Not if you're backing up a copy for your own personal use.

right but who does that just to back it up? (im sure a small amount of people) but honestly, there are so many loopholes in the law about these things especially. lending any type of media to a friend should be legal as long as they dont intend to distribute it. there really is no way to prevent pirates from doing what they do, i used to pirate everything, but now that i have money, i just hit up the used record store (which has cds & dvds too) and legally buy stuff dirt cheap! then i dont feel like i did something wrong, and i have a physical piece of media, itunes isnt for me because i dont trust it and frankly i like to have something physical when i pay for it. (like mikereiner said)

Back
Top Bottom