Apicectomy (what I did yesterday).

root

Site Team
Staff member
just want to share something disgusting with you guys.

Yesterday I had an apicectomy... (curtosy of the Milton Keynes General Hospital Maxillo Facial surgery department!).

it's a fairly basic procedure that I needed as I had a cyst in my gum above my upper right 2 tooth. (which I had a root canal on earlier this year, which failed to cure the infection). -it's basically a root canal surgery performed from the inside out rather that the outside in...

an apicectomy is the removal of the Apex of the tooth, (and in this case the surgical removal of the cyst.

Basically they numb you up to start with, then the cut your gums along and then up |____| to creat a flap that they pull up...

then they scrape away some of the tissue to make a hole through to the bones of your skull. to inspect the damage of the infection, (the cyst has disolved some of the bone).

then they use small pliers to pull out the cyst, (which was a shade smaller than a marble), probably about 6mm wide and 8 - 12 mm long big slug filled with infected puss).

then they take a drill and grind off the top of the tooth where it meets your jaw bones, then they put a filling onto the tooth, sealing the ducts in the tooth...

then they pull the flap of skin back down and stitch it up...

so at the moment I have sutures in my gums and a swollen face...

now here's the real kicker.
obviously your mouth has a good blood supply, and they need to prevent the infection coming back...

so they write me a prescription for anti biotics (=no drinking)
then they say that I shouoldn't smoke as that'll increase the risk of further infection (=no cigarettes or drugs)
then as the gums have such a good blood supply they say that if you do anything to raise your heartrate/blood preassure you'll likly start bleeding all over the place...

so long story short,
I have a swollen face, I'm in pain, I can't eat without it hurting, I can't drink, I can't smoke, and I can't "do things to raise my heart rate"... what is there left in life that's fun!?! and my mouth hurts everytime it touches anything!

and it'll likely be like that for a week.

That made my hairs stand up just reading about it, I feel for you man, take plenty of pain killers and try to put your mind else where if you can OUCH!!!:eek:

just want to share something disgusting with you guys.

Yesterday I had an apicectomy... (curtosy of the Milton Keynes General Hospital Maxillo Facial surgery department!).

good old milton keynes hospital,

im from milton keynes what u think of the city lol.

n e ways ateast you have activites such as computer gamin and stuff to be able to do

man, i have some respect for you going threw that, man you got bigger balls then ma dad, yer i had a tooth problem, they get them pliers and they tried pulling it out but little did they know CRACK my tooth cracked bleeding all over gums killing pain the lot, (doubt as worse as you) but anyway it killed and still its cut in half in my mouth, i have half a tooth but right down in the gum, its about 3mm up over the gum, (i can take a pic if ya want lolz), but its ment to be wrapped around my gums is the tooth, so they triekd pulling my gums up as they was doing my tooth, but thats when they stopped because all they could get was the other bit, so they pulled hard and just think my tooth was stuck in my gum and they was pulling the gum up and they did'nt know until they stopped, tops it all i was screaming in agony, but check this one, this was b4 the tooth and still does it after, when i'm in a plane and if the plane is attempting to land well 30mins before it lands it will start to go down, and in that 30 freakins mins i have pain in my teeth and man, its the most pain ever, worse then trying to pull my tooth out, well it felt like 5 pliers stuck in all my teeth pulling them out with a good grip, man i bit my mum and took abit of skin out on the shoulder, but the whole plane hear me man, i was in agony to the top, but anyway, don't worry takes time to heal, but i aint lieying i jusjt thought id add a little about my teeth

man feel sorry for you tho

good old milton keynes hospital,

im from milton keynes what u think of the city lol.

n e ways ateast you have activites such as computer gamin and stuff to be able to do
what do I think of Milky Beans? horrible place... few nice bits, but otherwise terrible!!

yes, gaming is not such a bad thing. but generally I like gaming with beer...
also you'd be amazed how long work feels without skiving off for a cigarette!

As for taking pain killers, I usually just deal with it. I generally find (non presecription) pain killers pretty ineffective anyway...
the only time I've taken normal pain killers to cope with tooth pain was about 9 years ago when I got into a fight and broke my tooth whilst trying to duck a punch. (ducked the punch by bending over, only to put myself face first into a metal railing, snapping my tooth in half). even then I had to finish school and go to work before I could get to the shops to get pain killers.
I found those tragically ineffective as well unless I took twice the recommended dose and that just made me feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom