CD ROM not reading

swimm397

Solid State Member
ok so i've got a dell deimension 4600...everything in the comp is all stock, computer is maybe from 2002 area. few months ago the CD rom started acting up...wouldnt read the disc, would blow inside it put the CD back in and then it would read it. well now it wont read the disc at all. green light will blink 2 times and thats it, wont spin the disc or anything. took the cover off and looked inside and noticed that there was a ton! of dust, its my dad's gf's computer and they both smoke alot while on the computer. so i blew and rubed off some of the dust inside but i knew that wasnt going to make much of a difference at all. now the windows trouble shooter said to try to uninstall the drive then reinstall it, since the device manager says its working fine. now im a lil scared to do that sayin that you might need a cd and to know the brand and model of the drive, all which i dont know and dont have.

what should i do?

Well, it sounds to me like you have a couple of options. First you can take the drive out of the computer. Then open it up and try to get as much of the dust and grime out of it as possible. Then put it back in and see what happens.

The other option is that you just buy a new cd drive, they don't cost that much like $20 or so, and then install it. Then once every 6 months, open his computer up and clean it out really well.

Cheers!

ok...tried to take it out but it wont budge...seems like the front face plate is in the way...cant find out how to get that off. anyone?

Swimm have you made sure that you have all the sides of the case off? Also, make sure that you have unscrewed the drive from the bay.

ok ok found out how to get if off stupid me...cleaned out the inside...took the drives out and they were freaken clean!...i guess the next step is to try to uninstall then reinstall...how do i go about doin that? i do not have any windows cd's either...

Back
Top Bottom