Random restarts (and BSoD)

It means heat sink fan. It's the cooler over your processor. You have an AM2 board so that probably won't be the problem, but it's always worth checking.

The HSF seems to be properly secured, atleast as far as I can tell.

I just got another reboot, after I had used the computer for a while. I checked the temperatures just a couple of minutes before, and all were under 40 degrees (celsius). Also the BSoD isn't the same as when it reboots just after startup. This time it looked like this: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/Gilgond/IMGP1197.jpg

Did you modify anything in your Windows Systems folders?? how about windows messenger, or something else? I recommend running your windows xp cd and presssing r-repair and repair the OS. I really think its a system file modified some how

Yeah, everyone is going towards the heating and cooling. Is this the only error that you get "System Has Shut Down."? How often is each shut down, is it happening sooner and sooner?

(ie. 30 mins...)

-Q

I haven't modified anything in the windows system folders. First I only had a problem with the computer restarting before I logged in (it came to the welcome screen but rebooted before I could log in). Then I reinstalled XP. I had the same problem, and it also started to reboot after I had used the computer for a while. Now, it doesn't reboot before you log in, but it reboots after instead...

The time between reboots is usually a couple of hours, and it has been like that about all the time I have had the problem. I don't think it is happening sooner and sooner.

Reboot jsut after log in happens maybe one out of two or three times when I start the computer.

I agree that it sounds like it could be a overheating issue, but the temperatures seem to be normal...

Anyway, I reinstalled XP a second time tonight, so we'll see what happens. If it didn't help I'll get back to you with another post.

Reinstalling XP didn't help, it restarted after I logged in several times in a row.

I suspect it might be the motherboard that doesn't work properly. I have almost ruled out everything else. Could a defect motherboard give problems such as this?

It doesn't seem like it is the motherboard after all. I bought a new one, and installed it, but at startup (at the sime place the BSoDs used to come) the computer freezes, but now without BSoD. Nothing happens even if I wait for a while.

So I would say that rules out the motherboard... And it doesn't seem like it is dust issues either, since the motherboard is completely new, and I removed all dust from the other components when installing it.

Does anybody have any idea bout what it could be?

You may have a faulty PSU or bad memory although with memory its usually a blue screen you get or beep codes.

This problem occurs if the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of your computer is exactly 200 bytes long. During logon, one character more than the 200-byte allocation is written and heap corruption occurs.

RESOLUTION
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000.

thats of microsoft

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html#

this is good t0 do

But shouldn't the problem be solved by reinstalling the OS then? I have reinstalled it twice, and it hasn't helped. Also, I don't use Windows 2000, I use XP.

Is there any way to check if I have a faulty PSU?

Back
Top Bottom