Laptop virtual memory problem

Half Evil

Golden Master
So, my dog tripped on the laptop cord and drug it off the coffee table and it slams and turns off. I try and turn it back on, and I get nothing from backlight from the monitor. But apparently it went into hibernation, because after sometime, it shows the hibernation bars loading. It stops like 5 or 6 bars in, and says windows is missing a file.

I do both system bootup diagonistics, and I do chkdsk on the windows CD. Neither can repair, at first I think its a broken sector in the harddrive.... GREAT!

Well, I say screw it, its just a laptop for use. Absolutely nothing personal on it. I delete the partition and I try to reinstall windows. I get it all done, and windows starts to load... And it does a virtual memory dump. Does it every time now. Also seems to take loads faster to boot up.

So what should I do?

Lappy is a Dell inspiron 8500 I think. Fairly old.

umm very strange try this, goto bios check to see your sata opration and change it to ATA not AHCI, maybe this will help, if you still get them errors then I think its a hardware problem, possibley the harddrive, I did the same think but I HIT mine lol.

If you do get a new harddrive make sure to take the old chassis and the black clip of and put it in your new harddrive, some don't require but if they do its the most important part on the chasses as its almost impossible to get unless you have one specialy made, so be careful and don;t throw it away

I'm booting it right now, and i'm actually not getting anything.

Took a good minute for the hibernation bars to appear, and i'm going thru that process right now.... taking forever. Went to take a Pee, and windows was loading.

By the time I sat down, the windows loading bars were gone, and Its dumping physical memory.

So, I cant even get into the bios. It it a black screen thru that. WTF?

edit-

HEY! I just restarted, and I was able to get into the bios. Lol this really makes no sense.

I cant find that ATA, or AHCI option anywhere.

man thats very strange, maybe you aint got a sata harddrive is this correct?

and don;t worry you'll have your pc back on soon let me research

can you go into safemode?

Well I havent even tried safemode, because I havent gone into the setup for windows. You know choose user, computer name and all that BS.

This is what the blue screen says:

STOP:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The Registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroom\system 32\config\SYSTEM
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Looks like the reinstall just didnt cut it??

o i see thats all right man, no problem we will soon solve that one, if you told me that message 1st id of had this reply as ive done it myself:

chkdsk /p will repair your drive, i think you already know how to chkdsk if you dont ask i think /p repairs

o sorry you said it would'nt repair my bad yer new harddrive might fix this is a very good free trick!

ok, get some cash lets say 60pound? go get a 160gb or any sized harddrive now ask the man for a reciept but he should give you one, ok now go back home shove it in and 4mat it, if it works its your harddrive now go back to the shop and give him the new harddrive back and the recipt and just say its broke (but its not), so anyway this will tell you alot.

but the reason for going back is because you might of needed to lend the cash or you did'nt want to buy a harddrive just yet.

o btw you don't want to delete the partion as the guy would think that you have tried it already anyway cya

So you think this is only a hard drive problem?

No ram loose or idk anything like that?

shit its your memory derrr, sorry im stupid but if it aint that maybe harddrive, your memory does'nt have enough memory to anayslie windows.

either that or harddrive

Try reseating your memory if it's easy to get at and run it though a pass or two of memtest. I doubt memory is the issue, but those are easy tests.

If reseating memory doesn't work and memtest comes up clear, try re-doing windows again. Maybe it's a bad take. If that doesn't clear it, I'd think that your hard drive bit the dust during the fall.

Back
Top Bottom