Need help with Linux install!!

kocheez75

In Runtime
So I was installing ubuntu, when it froze halfway through. I restarted my computer, and now it will not post. Just a black screen. When I press keys, the hard drive is active, and the computer will restart if I use ctrl alt delete, but I can't see anything on the screen.

well tell us what you want to do now. re install xp, ubuntu?
just pop in which ever cd and make sure the bios is set to boot from it

I'm trying to install ubuntu, but the problem is, the bios does'nt pop up, so I can't change the boot settings, the screen is just black. There isn't any signal going to the monitor. I've flashed the bios and everthing.

Software installation in no way should affect how your computer boots regardless of how "bad" the installation goes. Yes, You might get hardware conflicts but the likely hood of them "wiping your bios" is quiet remote.

If what you're saying is correct about your bios, Try adding a different monitor..If the same occurs, remove your hard drive and try boot, see if theirs any change to the blankness. (Like Dude SE mentioned above, try a new graphics card also as that could also be where the fault is).

If it does change with the hard drive out, Add a new hard drive or a spare, and reinstall windows on that. Once your computers operational, attach the old hard drive as slave and see if you can access it.

Im not 100% sure, but if it isn't a hardware conflict - then you might find yourself buying a new board. Give that a shot and let me know if things improve or stay the same.

I tried without the harddrive and had the same result. I'm going to try on a different monitor later and see if that works.

Here is the thing about installing a new OS. You shouldn't have to change anything in your bios. Most every computer has a way to get to the boot loader with out touching the bios. When you get your computer back together, try turning on your computer and at the first screen were it shows the manufacatures logo, see if it lists and 'F' keys. It should tell you which one will start the boot loader, from there you can start your drive with out the bios.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom