Master/slave questions and thoughts.

amp27

Daemon Poster
First a question:

is this master/slave????>> It runs the same as it did before, but now it has another drive called (E: ) and still says local disk.
It is like another big "Folder".(thats what i think) yes i know it is not called that. just a thought.

and if it is not master/slave.....whatever i still have 28.6gb more of drive space.

i am happy cause now if i want, i can transfer the files/folder over to the slave(i think i can or is there a twist?) and make it run even faster.

before my single HDD was only 9.3gb with only 300Mb left on the disk, and....it....was....v.e.r.y......s l o w. Could of crashed (if that even causes it to)

Zip* questions:

Can virusies spread from HDD to HDD?(my slave is hooked up with the CD drive)
>so that would be like saying..."o crap, a virus got on my nickleback CD from
your computer,i hate you!!" said earl.

If i fill up the slave, will my computer run slow?

How much power(watts)does a 30gb HDD(my slave)use?

Do the HDDs have to be the same formatt to work as master/slave? because if so they are both useing format FAT32.

i dont get this:
i heard that your HDDs have to be running the same OS to work as M/S
Mine are like this (Master is Windows2000pro, and Slave is WindowsME)

*Zip is how i am going to ask questions. just Zip a list of quesions.

is this master/slave????>> It runs the same as it did before, but now it has another drive called (E:) and still says local disk.
It is like another big "Folder".(thats what i think) yes i know it is not called that. just a thought.

and if it is not master/slave.....whatever i still have 28.6gb more of drive space.

i am happy cause now if i want, i can transfer the files/folder over to the slave(i think i can or is there a twist?) and make it run even faster.

before my single HDD was only 9.3gb with only 300Mb left on the disk, and....it....was....v.e.r.y......s l o w. Could of crashed (if that even causes it to)
I'm lost. How did you start out with a 9.3GB drive and end up with multiple drives and 28.6GB of free space?

Zip* questions:

Can virusies spread from HDD to HDD?(
Yes

If i fill up the slave, will my computer run slow?
Yes

How much power(watts)does a 30gb HDD(my slave)use?
Very little. About 11 watts.

Do the HDDs have to be the same formatt to work as master/slave? because if so they are both useing format FAT32.
Not necessarily. But it's best to have them formatted the same.

i dont get this:
i heard that your HDDs have to be running the same OS to work as M/S
Mine are like this (Master is Windows2000pro, and Slave is WindowsME)
Neither do I. . .

wow our computer is weird. but it is working and the yeses make me a little sad.

o sorry i had 9.3 with the HDD we always had. now we have that plus the HDD i added.now it is 40(37.9 useable space)

ok i think is meets the line of our 85 watt CPU because i was playing a CD and it would stop spining(i heard it) now and then and would pause.

Zip:

if i do move the files from out stuffed HDD(master) to the almost emtpy slave drive will the comput go faster?

if i do move the files from out stuffed HDD(master) to the almost emtpy slave drive will the comput go faster?

it might speed up a little. The drive with the OS on it always needs some free space. Depending on how much is left you might notice a difference. But it's worth a try.

Also defragging would probably help.

yea i defrag the slave already which took forever with a 30gig and it didnt even finish(only got to 50%).

and here is have much space i could free up on the master drive.
ALL OF IT. so yea............

windows defrag software?
If you want to give defragging another try then go with a 3rd party program. I use O&O defrag and it's really good. But pretty much anything will be better than the one that comes with windows.

ok well it shows me a chart with differnt colors and those colors are more together now but not perfect blue is not only with blue and red is not only with red.

Ok, here from fresh start.

If im correct I think your saying you had a pc and in that pc was a harddrive and on that harddrive is windows 2000 and on that harddrives space you have little left and then you opened your pc and add another harddrive and on that second harddrive is windows me and on that windows me is documents? get all them documents/files you need and put them on your windows 2000 one, then right click my computer, then click manage then click disk management on the left and right click your harddrive that has windows me and click format.

I think this should make your new harddrive is clear and has brand new space on it, then start putting your files on it yes it will run faster this way.

thanks, that is very easy to understand i shall try.

ok so i need to get everything off the new drive(the one i added) and put it somwhere. i dont have that much space. well i do have floppys and flashdrives. Or......can i just delete/uninstall everything from it cuase i dont need any of the hp junk on it and the old versions of Word and excel.

so just delete everything from the drive i added?

yer man you can delete it all

goodluck and btw i make it easy for new people to understand.

thanks for using this forums

Back
Top Bottom