Should China have been alllowed to host the olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, to those who say they shouldn't have it because they treat "their" people like crap think of this. Imperial England forced many countries to bend to their ways when conquered at the height of the Empire. People who didn't drop their old ways and follow the "correct" way of things were outcasts and sometimes killed.

In the U.S., slaves? Their masters, and a good portion of general society at the time treated them like crap. Everything from whipping to demoralizing. What about the events after emancipation, all the killing and segregation. Wasn't that evil done to "our" people?

Point being EVERY country has done wrong to "their" people somewhere in the past or present. China is no different.

OK, to those who say they shouldn't have it because they treat "their" people like crap think of this. Imperial England forced many countries to bend to their ways when conquered at the height of the Empire. People who didn't drop their old ways and follow the "correct" way of things were outcasts and sometimes killed.

In the U.S., slaves? Their masters, and a good portion of general society at the time treated them like crap. Everything from whipping to demoralizing. What about the events after emancipation, all the killing and segregation. Wasn't that evil done to "our" people?

Point being EVERY country has done wrong to "their" people somewhere in the past or present. China is no different.

Dude, that's totally taking it out of context. Everyone has been bad in the past, but China continues to do it today--that's the difference.

I'm not going to go and say that America has been the most innocent country, but at least we allow free speech.

Dude, that's totally taking it out of context. Everyone has been bad in the past, but China continues to do it today--that's the difference.

I'm not going to go and say that America has been the most innocent country, but at least we allow free speech.

"China continues to do it today", you know, China didn't have much of a chance to do it before when the US and European nations were staking claims in Africa and Asia because all of the Imperialist nations were using their 'Spheres of Influence' in China, they were the ones subduing the Chinese and forcing a country to become 'civilized' (the irony is that the Chinese were around much longer than the European countries/US, then the UK marches in with their opium, their special brand of civilization). The way I see it, maybe the Chinese are just taking after the people that were controlling them at one point.

That aside, politics aren't supposed to have any effect on the Olympic Games. The event was designed to bring nation's closer together, and give each nation an opportunity to understand one another, the incessant bashing of the Chinese heritage and culture isn't going to change anything, the Chinese are just as full of pride as the United States, they're not just going to keel over and bend to the wishes of protesters.

I'm Taiwanese, definitely not a fan of China, but even I think that this sort of attitude toward China is unwarranted.

If you want to talk about human rights, give the native Americans their land back, set an example for China if you really want them to change. Just to clarify, Illmatic, we still keep native Americans on reservations as you so nicely put it, "today". I fail to see the difference really.

China has every right to hold the Olympics. Preventing them from doing so would only cause more problems. Plus, this could provide as a chance for them to show they're becoming better. I also agree with Troy though. Olympics should only be held in Greece.

lol, human rights are all a point of vew. personal i think assisted suicide and mmj should be legal, and in some parts of the world they are. and the US has some questionable practices of their own but we could start a hole new thread on that. anyways, the olympics arn't saposed to be about politics

I read in the newspaper today about some 70 year old pensions who refused to leave their homes so part of the Olympics stadium could be built. So china sentenced them to 1 years labour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom