would this be an ok upgrade?

I mean, how can you tell on a power supply where it says 26a on 12v rail...sorry I was kind of vague

just check the specs.
For example the ocz one that atomic rooster posted.

specs said:
Output +3.3V@30A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,
+12V2@18A,-12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5A

so that's 2 +12v rails, 18A each. So 36A total.

^^ a bit overkill yes, but there will always be a bottleneck somewhere. But as a general rule, never get any of those pre-overclocked video cards. It's the exactly same card, only difference is that they have overclocked it. You can do the same yourself. No point in paying for them to do something that you can do in 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, your best options would be the 8800GT (256mb or 512mb) or the 9600GT. (just got this one myself a few days ago) Both are awesome for the price.

Most all new power supplies have the auxiliary 4 pin power connectors. They are usually listed as a "4 pin ATX12V Connector".

If you're looking to get a good quality, inexpensive power supply that will meet the minimum requirements, the FSP Group ATX400-PA ATX12V 400W Power Supply would be your best bet. They are very reliable and built by one of the better power supply manufacturers.

:D

Thank you atomic...one more question and I think I'll be set

If you can fit the 20+4 motherboard power connector...should you put in the +4? the origional power supply just has the 20

No. The extra four pins will not be used in any way. The FSP I posted has the 4 pin CPU connector, it's listed as a "12V (P4)" connector.

Back
Top Bottom