A clear cut message: Don't get cheap power supplies, ever.

MikeReiner

Golden Master

This is what happens when you use power supplies like this:

I installed this 7600GT in a client's machine last year, he just came back to me with the machine being unable to post. Eeeek.

Yep, like I always said, take the time and money to invest in a good PSU. Don't think that PSUs "only" supply power and buying a cheap one won't affect you.

This applies with pretty much everything, but it's good to remember that the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Never, EVER skimp on an important component like the PSU. Sooner or later you will regret it.

Oh, and I should add as well, this power supply is stock, from an HP Pavillion!

You can get lucky with cheap power supplies sometimes.. but when it bites you back, it does it right in the ass.

So its done more damage than kill itself? :(

Has that video card gone and exploded? One capacitor looks almost open, and theres grey stuff underneath the power connector? Wow.... Talk about no safety shut downs.

Fortunately, nothing else was damaged. We put a cooler master in there now, fairly decent PSU.

Video card was replaced with an XFX 9600GT

how do you know it isn't the graphics card's fault?

Because generally those all-metal capacitors do not blow unless there is a power surge. Normal capacitors can fail like that any time, but all metal take something big to kill.

The caps blew open. Zoom the pictures and you should see something wrong there. lol

Back
Top Bottom