Project Overclock #2: Trouble in Paradise?

You'll notice it dropping slowly, it's mainly airflow that slowly erodes it from the surface. Until the drop becomes an issue (lower stability/volts) you'll be good.

I just checked my records, i needed 1.3825v to get 3.2GHz (non vmodded)

Worshipme and TrueFolder, thanks for your inputs on my overclocking. I've basically done exactly what both of you recommended as far as disabling/changing values in my BIOS. Here's an update:

If I'm not mistaken, my system restarted again while testing in P95, but I'm positive this was because of ambient temperatures again. We're getting a nice heat wave in California this week and yesterday was extremely hot (my room hit 82*F!) Anyway, idle temperatures were apprx. 46*, which is insane. I went ahead and changed all BIOS settings and as we speak, my idle is still around 41-42*C. The AC is helping quite a bit, but only when it stays on for a constant 2-3 hours.

After I finish some homework, I'm gonna go ahead and do the P5K pencil mod. If I understand this correctly, this mod can mean that you can potentially LOWER the vcore without having stability issues that would previously pop up, right? This potentially means that I could go lower than 1.365Vcore, which also means my temperatures *should* see a drop (hopefully).

P95 testing has consistently given me load temps in the low 60*C range (with RealTemp. CoreTemp gives me 65-66*C.) I'm not scared by it, but I don't feel too comfortable with load temps that high.

Anyway, a combination of the P5K pencil mod, a lower VCore, and maybe going down to 3000MHz for now will give me a comfortable situation until I can find some other solutions down the road.

Sounds good, but make sure your P5K-E has the same PCB layout as my board before doing the mod. BTW, it is located slightly to the left of the far left DIMM at the top of the board.
If I understand this correctly, this mod can mean that you can potentially LOWER the vcore without having stability issues that would previously pop up, right? This potentially means that I could go lower than 1.365Vcore, which also means my temperatures *should* see a drop (hopefully).
Yes, before the pencil mod, I needed a 1.45V vcore to do 3.42GHz, but now I'm using a 1.3875Vcore and I ran P95 for four hours with 60c max temps. Mostly they were around 55c. I'm sure I could use 1.375V but I haven't tested that yet.

Just an update:

Went ahead and did the pencil mod for my P5K. Basically I found the light blue little transistor and shaded the middle of it with my #2 pencil until I could see a good amount of graphite on it.

Result? I've tried dropping my VCore from 1.365V to 1.31 I think, and it was extremely unstable. I've come all the way up to 1.33something I think, and P95 errors within 10 seconds.

I guess it didn't work for me?
Or is there something I'm missing... hm.

Back
Top Bottom