Vista + new laptop= ?

mengle

Solid State Member
ok, i just got a new Dell XPS. I havent recieved it yet, but i know the OS is def. Vista. Is this good or bad? I have heard many different things. help me out please.

Vista has its ups and downs like any OS. IMO most users hate using vista though because of the buggyness of it and such high requirements for ram, it needs 2gb min and uses alot more than any other OS...also it's quite complex to the first time user. But you can't just opt for windows xp professional or anything anymore so your stuck with it unless you add on multiple OS's.

For the most part, Vista is pretty stable for mainstream use. Would I personally use it? Only if it came with the system.

Windows XP Professional has everything I need.

nowa days with the release of vista SP1 vista is running alot better and if thats the laptop your on bout in your sig it will be fine,

vista got such a hard time IMO because the beta that was released was absolutely horrible and took like 7 mins to install a usb flash drive lol, but now its all bin ironed out and it perfect.

i still have XP on my dekstop but my celeron laptop with 1 Gb RAM is running vista fine

IMO most users hate using vista though because of the buggyness of it and such high requirements for ram, it needs 2gb min

You don't need 2 gigs of ram to run windows vista. Thats incorrect information. Seriously, I bought a brand new Dell Vostro_200 (less than a month ago) which has 2 dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHZ processors, Memory aka (RAM) has 1022mb (1gb) of ram not 2 like you said it needs min. Running system type is 32-bit operating system. Point is I have a gig of ram and windows vista runs excellent on this system you do not need 2 gigs of memory (ram) to make vista run.

For the people who *hate it* they probably cannot run the operating system like they could with windows xp. Honestly, I like it. I cannot complain. The ONLY downfall I will say I noticed is a lot of computer games that I have here at my house will not work or run with vista (not compatable) other than that windows vista is good software IMO. I love security so windows vista suits my needs. btw, graphics are 256 mb nvidia, and hdd is 250 gigs

You don't need 2 gigs of ram to run windows vista. Thats incorrect information. Seriously, I bought a brand new Dell Vostro_200 (less than a month ago) which has 2 dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHZ processors, Memory aka (RAM) has 1022mb (1gb) of ram not 2 like you said it needs min. Running system type is 32-bit operating system. Point is I have a gig of ram and windows vista runs excellent on this system you do not need 2 gigs of memory (ram) to make vista run.

SOME ONE HAS COMMON SENSE! Seriously though. Vista just gives the illusion of a high RAM usage. Unlike all previous versions of windows, Vista tries to keep a small page file and puts as much in RAM as it can to make things faster. This space is freed when needed by other programs.

Now if I was you, I would keep vista and enjoy it. I do not have a single complaint with it.

Wow. That is the exact same laptop I was about to buy for myself. All the specs are the same. Unfortunately, I ended up buying my dad's for $250, and spending an extra $50 on RAM (Refer to sig.) and he bought a new one for himself. It wasn't that bad as I had sold my desktop for $250, so I only spent an extra $50.

As far as running Vista on this new laptop, you will be fine. You can always add more RAM. I think it is actually cheaper if you buy RAM after from NewEgg or something. Unless you infest it with memory hogging applications, you will be fine.

Sidenote: The vista skins are really cool. I don't have vista myself, but I have the skins for XP =]

Wow. That is the exact same laptop I was about to buy for myself. All the specs are the same. Unfortunately, I ended up buying my dad's for $250, and spending an extra $50 on RAM (Refer to sig.) and he bought a new one for himself. It wasn't that bad as I had sold my desktop for $250, so I only spent an extra $50.

As far as running Vista on this new laptop, you will be fine. You can always add more RAM. I think it is actually cheaper if you buy RAM after from NewEgg or something. Unless you infest it with memory hogging applications, you will be fine.

Sidenote: The vista skins are really cool. I don't have vista myself, but I have the skins for XP =]

i just got it today, its incredible. :D

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4817 packaged with Vista Sabotage.
I call it that because if any of my old programs install on it, it
eventually sabotages parts of them to not work correctly. It then refuses
to unistall enough of some components to make sure you have further
problems in the future. It is also slow and hogs even a good computers
resources.

Needless to say, I wanted to go back to a lesser evil; XP.
I found Toshiba support to be useless, offering no sound drivers
to fix the problems. AMD Turion and ATI Radeon did provide drivers.

However all drivers I have found at driver sites so far including the
Realtek drivers will not work on this sytem with XP.

I have most of the computer working now, but really need sound drivers
that will actually work. I would appreciate help in finding them.

Back
Top Bottom