just installed windows xp, i have no sound....

There will a name like Realtek or Creative, Pine, or some familiar sounding name for most if a card is installed.

Another place to look is simply the next item under PCI where anything installed in an expansion slot even a video card will be seen when scrolling all the way down the list of things there. The last things listed will be for pci slots while a PCI-E or even AGP type video card will be shown somewhere above.

If you go into the device manager for Windows directly you may see the "other devices" catagory that will often be seen in there while not in something like a 3rd party system tool. The important thing would be the make and model board since you still need to look that up at any support site for seeing everything needed.

You are still missing a few things for sure! The usb host controllers item alone shows the need for board drivers for that as well as the chipset and what appears to be the onboard sound.

Now for the make and model board by clicking on the motherboard listing in the SIW tool. We seem to have just missed each other on that one.

yeah im so lost, i gotta get all this worked out or it will drive me crazy , im gonna crash so i can make it to class in the morn, please check this out tomm, and we can pick up where we left off.

make and model of mother board here!

Property Value
Model KM400-8237

Chipset Vendor VIA Technologies Inc
Chipset Model KM400 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge
SMBus VIA Technologies Inc VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge @5000h

CPU AMD Sempron
Cpu Socket Socket A
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 1500 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MBytes

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Property Value? The model number itself comes up for Biostar, Gigabyte, and DFI being a more widely used chipset for the older Socket A board there. In the system information tool you simply click on the motherboard item right under the hardware title to manufacturer - ?, Model - ? with one thing after another listed directly below each other there.

Once you know the make you can go after the correct drivers since each company will use some of the same things like the particular chipset while the audio is made by different companies.

ok under devices i see all the sound stuff like you mentioned, no yellow marks, just tons of audio stuff like: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, media control drivers, microsoft kernel, midi, standard game port, etc....which one would i analyze to see what i need?

ok wait, on that program there were no yellow marks.. but on device manager there are some yellow exclamation points. feel free to im me on beachbum32785 if anyone is gonna be online in the next bit.

this is what i see...

tits.jpg

Can you tell me the model number of your Gigabyte Motherboard?

See the yellow exclamation marks in your screen dump? If you right click on the item you should get the option to update the driver. Now if the computer is connected to the internet it might be able to retrieve the software on-line. Try it. You've nothing to loose. I downloaded all the drivers for an ASRock K7-S8X Motherboard this way. :)

If you still cant get sound, go to Microsoft update, then select manual scan, when it finishes you should be left with a few menus on the left, select the HARDWARE one and your sound card drivers should in there, select it and download them.

I just re-installed XP, and I have no sound. Oh my! What do I do?? Oh wait, I just need to install my SigmaTEL drivers, and reboot. :p

Can you tell me the model number of your Gigabyte Motherboard?

See the yellow exclamation marks in your screen dump? If you right click on the item you should get the option to update the driver. Now if the computer is connected to the internet it might be able to retrieve the software on-line. Try it. You've nothing to loose. I downloaded all the drivers for an ASRock K7-S8X Motherboard this way. :)

The SIW tool will provide all that in one quick look simply by clicking on the motherboard option in the hardware catagory. Once at the support site you can grab everything and save them in a folder for later use if Windows needs a reinstall at some point again. They'll still be in a folder ready for use.

Right clicking on all of the yellow marked items seen in the "other devices" will also see the update driver option there since everything is being shown there and in the sound, video section of the device manager.

For the MS update site that would be choosing the "custom" instead of "express" option once the system is scanned automatically there. Besides all of the usual MS updates you can look over optional hardware and software updates in the catagories seen in the left column on the page there. You simply check or leave unchecked the items you do and don't want and then click on the "review and install" option to see all selected downloaded and installed.

Back
Top Bottom