I know I've made this post a thousands times, but...

Like was mentioned, it may be a little overkill, especially with new gpu architecture on the horizon.

However, if you must have it now, I would say crossfire hands down.

You're an undergrad or still HS?

Props, I'm a 34 yo undergrad trying to get into law school. Full time employment, wife and 2 kids. I have a 4.0 and know what a pita it is to keep it, there's so much more work from a 3.5+ to a 4.0.:eek:

Sophomore in HS :p

Yeah, I'm constantly doing work and studying, no fun. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a wife and kids, AND a job. For me it's just rowing...I'm surprised you are able to maintain such a ridiculously high average with all your responsibilities.

Well, I wish you success =] My dad is a Lawyer...he said it was a ton of work as well (he was at the top of his class).

About the computer:

I live in Switzerland, where hardware is much more expansive than it is in the states. I go back to the states every summer, so I'll be building it in early July, so there's a 3 month wait still. I just like fantasizing about it :D

Hopefully, by then, there will be new releases....

Well, I'm almost sure SLI still works a lot better then crossfire, but I wouldnt go for either. I would just get one graphics card. A 9800gX2 if you need a lot of power. At that res though, it might be kinda hard.... Maybe 2 9800gx2s if you want to spend more.

And dont get the 10,000RPM raptor. Get a seagate 7200.11 drive, they are like almost as fast or faster then the rapter, yet they only need to run at 7200RPM

TBH My 8800gts plays everything i throw at it (apart from crysis) on the higest possible settings . there is NO need to pay tipple that just to get a "few more fps"
and there is somthing wrong with the cod4 benchmarks , mines on Max settings and im getting 125fps(thats what its limited too)

well i aint into graphics but by drivers no, drivers are mostaly for things new software, new software for some cases means new drivers so it kinda throws it at you but like i say thats how i see it.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say but new drivers especially from AMD will improve multi-GPU scaling. Stay away from this place when you can't even construct your sentences properly.
Well, I'm almost sure SLI still works a lot better then crossfire, but I wouldnt go for either. I would just get one graphics card. A 9800gX2 if you need a lot of power. At that res though, it might be kinda hard.... Maybe 2 9800gx2s if you want to spend more.
Crossfire does actually tend to scale better in games that are well optimized for multi-GPU configurations, but I agree, a single GPU setup is still the best option. A lot of people are saying that future games will improve scaling with SLI/CrossfireX. This is not true. More and more developers are building their engines around consoles, which only have a single GPU. Therefore it is likely support will get worse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBH My 8800gts plays everything i throw at it (apart from crysis) on the higest possible settings . there is NO need to pay tipple that just to get a "few more fps"
and there is somthing wrong with the cod4 benchmarks , mines on Max settings and im getting 125fps(thats what its limited too)
I would have to agree with Cryman here. Forget the 9800GTX, it is only an overclocked GTS. It doesn't have any more stream processors/texturing units etc. If you play at no more than 1600x1200 and you don't play with anything more than 4x AA, then a 512MB GTS is perfectly sufficient. If however you have a big panel and you play at high resolutions with all the filters, then Gainward have released an 8800GTS 1GB. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss8800gts-1024.html
The extra VRAM will really help at high resolutions and it has a much better cooler than the 9800GTX. And it will even overclock higher thanks to the Samsung 0.83NS RAM. (Reference G92 cards have Qimonda 1.2NS RAM)

They overclock like beasts easyyy!!

Stock 8800GTS are 650mhz standard right , the one that I bought was the pre-overclocked model witch was 700mhz , running about 50-70c in games
AND then i could further overclock it to 800Mhz and still get 50-70c with the same fan speed.

I think my GTS would give a 9800gtx a run for its money.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say but new drivers especially from AMD will improve multi-GPU scaling. Stay away from this place when you can't even construct your sentences properly.

http://www.blurtit.com/q944169.html

o btw i can construct my sentences good but 1 i type fast 2 i so lazy to go back and check my post sometimes to rewrite it but its still readable lol.

And you say your doing all this and that but still you buying a top end graphics card? it shows me that your into gaming more then anything,. im only saying.

and im an accountant woopie do, no need to show your grades of.

check my post sometimes to rewrite it but its still readable lol.
And you say your doing all this and that but still you buying a top end graphics card?
I can't understand what you are trying to say.
I'm telling him not to buy a top end graphics card. I recommended the 8800GTS 512MB or 1GB if he's playing at high resolutions.

I am going ot be picking up 2 9800GX2's in the next couple weeks, ill post back with my results.

Back
Top Bottom