KUBUNTU help.

blackjack

Fully Optimized
I am testing the Kubuntu CD to try the OS out but can not get the internet working, I go into networking and you are prompted with a menu, I select administrative rights which lets you change the settings but then I get lost, you have four menus,
1 Network interfaces
2 Routes3
3 Ive forgot:eek:
4 Network profiles
In 1 it shows my Ethernet device is enalbled,
2 Routes it has the default gateway box which i presume is (192.168.1.1 my router)
3 here you have HOST NAME box which says UBUNTU
a DOMAIN NAME box --------- & DOMAIN NAME SERVERS box-----------
4 network profiles --------
What do I put in the --------- as I have tried all sorts, I have tried using Konquerer (kubuntu web browser) to contact my router on http://192.168.1.1 as I would in IE but no joy its not finding it, so has anyone have any idea how to configure this cheers.

Hi, great to see that you haven't given up on Linux yet. What I want you to do is to open up terminal and enter: ifconfig This is similar to ipconfig in Windows. Then post the output for us.

I read the last post from the other thread. I am curious as to what you mean by a trial. As far as I know there isn't a trial period for Kubuntu? Can you give me a link to the trial so I can figure it out thanks.
Cheers!

Hi, great to see that you haven't given up on Linux yet. What I want you to do is to open up terminal and enter: ifconfig This is similar to ipconfig in Windows. Then post the output for us.

I read the last post from the other thread. I am curious as to what you mean by a trial. As far as I know there isn't a trial period for Kubuntu? Can you give me a link to the trial so I can figure it out thanks.
Cheers!

What I meant by that is I'm running it off the CD:) not installing it, I want to test it for a few days before going for a full install

It is recommended to stay with the old post you made, not making additional ones, I replied to your older post.

It is recommended to stay with the old post you made, not making additional ones, I replied to your older post.

I am aware of that, Ive been here for over a year, I made this thread when the Ubuntu 7.04 version would no longer run on my system for which i have no idea why? so I Tried Kubuntu instead and loads up fine, since the as well I have dtried the Beta of Ubuntu 8.04 and that works as well so figure that one out?:D

Blackjack, when you run the livecd. You aren't getting connented to the internet as you have posted earlier. What I want you to do is open up the terminal, then type ifconfig. After that it will give you a lot of information. Copy all that information down, then post it here, so that I can see what you are getting. There will be information listed like your ip, dns, gateway that type of stuff.

Cheers!

Blackjack, when you run the livecd. You aren't getting connented to the internet as you have posted earlier. What I want you to do is open up the terminal, then type ifconfig. After that it will give you a lot of information. Copy all that information down, then post it here, so that I can see what you are getting. There will be information listed like your ip, dns, gateway that type of stuff.

Cheers!

Heres what it says bud,
Eth0 link encap: ethernet Hwaddr 00:e0:4c:c4:3a:4a
Inte6 addr: fe80::2e0: 4cff :fec4:3a4a /64 scope: link
Ur BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC :1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:4
Tx packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:: carrier:0
Collissions:0 txqueuelen: 1000
Rx bytes :0 (0.0B) tx bytes:0 (0.0b)
Interrupt: 10 base address:0xd000

Eth0 :avahi link encap: ethernet Hwaddr00:e0:4c:c4:3a:4a
Inet addr:69.254.6.31 bcast 169.254.255.255 mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC:1
Interrupt:10 Base address :0xd000

Lo Link encap: local loopback
Intel addr:127.0.0.1 MASK:255.0.0.0
Inet6 addr:::1/128 scope: host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 METRIC 1
Rx packets: 6374 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame 0
Tx packets: 6374 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns;0: carrier:0
Collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
Rx bytes: 318892 (311.4 kb) Tx bytes: 318892 (11.4 kb)

Does that help any?.

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. it says that your ip address is: 64.254.6.31, or gateway is 169.254.255.255, and your subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. I would try pinging something like google. I would do it by url, and by ip to see if you are even getting a connection at all.

Do you have a router connected to your system normally? And if so what is your ip that you get from that on your computer? I am troubled by your ip address. So let me know about those things the next time that you post. Thanks.

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. it says that your ip address is: 64.254.6.31, or gateway is 169.254.255.255, and your subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. I would try pinging something like google. I would do it by url, and by ip to see if you are even getting a connection at all.

Do you have a router connected to your system normally? And if so what is your ip that you get from that on your computer? I am troubled by your ip address. So let me know about those things the next time that you post. Thanks.
I am not getting any connection at all so my configuration is not set, I do have a router set up at all times, default is 192.168.1.1, I have my network config(tcp/ip) in xp set for finding automatic ip and find DNS server automatic as well. I am curios about something though, I can only contact my router through IE but not through Firefox search, why is that? as Ubuntu uses Firefox this is not helping either, is there away to search with a different browser like ubuntus own

I am going round in circles guys, can some one tell me how to get online with ubuntu, I cant even contact my router, Windows is a doddle to this, Ive tried setting a static ip , tried DHCP AUTOMATIC, Roaming, I need some one to tell me what to put where, I have the information just dont understand the network config in Ubuntu as in post 1, its double dutch to me at the moment. I have googled, jeeved etc there just is not a guide that tells you what to put in, sure it shows the boxes but I need some one to explain to me what goes where. I know my default gateway, Dns, net mask just don't know how to put it in the correct places in ubuntu, ive spent days at this and still am no wiser.

Back
Top Bottom